1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Not just the bid, but submitting the bid.

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by kg26, Feb 5, 2013.

1. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

I am seeing a lot of forums about how to bid a lot for snow removal, or what to charge. However what I think is equally important and maybe you do as well is the way the bids are being submitted. How are you all out there submitting your bids are there any forms that any of you would will post as an example? Or are many of you just calling saying here is what I'd charge?

2. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Be detailed as possible. Cover everything that you can think of. No calls, everything in writing.

3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I print my bids out, and I use the $15 a packet business quality paper, the kind that feels thicker and "soft". I submit it inside a black folder. I try to be detailed, without making it more than 2 paragraphs. Too long will get it tossed aside. I also include a copy of my insurance binder.

4. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Everything in writing on professionally printed letterhead.

5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

More and more we are emailing quotes and contracts. In today's times people are dealing more with PDFs than fancy presentation folders

6. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

All of my bids are submitted through email now. Way easier to deal with for both sides, and if any negotiating is to be done, you can be firm and to the point with a well thought out explanation one way or another.

7. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

Would anyone mind showing an example?

8. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I feel walking in and handing them something, being able to make a good first impression is WAY more effective than an Email. Emails are so easy to delete and never think about again.."Oh, I never got that!?"

No, people still enjoy the personal touch IMO.

9. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Here you go, a sample bid letter.

Here you go in Microsoft word.

Attached Files:

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

This for driveways or commercials or both?

11. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

The "oh I never got that" Is a classic.

12. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

I can see that being a good thing.

13. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

I think a lot depends on what the potential customer (PC) prefers. I try to accomodate each with their preferred method of contact. However, I always make the initial contact in person. Meeting someone in person and having them walk the property with you will put you above the rest as long as you make the PC feel comfortable with your knowledge and they fully understand how you will ensure they will be taken care of, where you will push the snow etc. An e-mail without an initial introduction can't take the place of a good first inpression. Just my $.00002. Damned economy even kills the value of my input sometimes. lol

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=141197

14. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Strictly Commercial, I really don't do private driveways.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Ready for the historic Storm? LOL

15. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Do you use this one now? If so, you have plowing starting at 3 inches but you have pricing starting at 2 inches.Magic salt,give a one liner as to what it is.Also just seems like your giving them to many options for plowing. Maybe a seasonal price and per push price. Also do you send this out as a blind bid or to someone who called? If someone called,just send out a contract with the 2 options.Just my thoughts.