1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Not impressed

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by NEUSWEDE, Mar 22, 2009.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Bought this 8611lp in Oct 2008 so it is only 6 months old has seen 8 storms (no joke) The pump motor quit during the second storm. Have gone through 2 sets of wing cutting edges the wings dont extend out as they should they go to scoop as soon as you hit the button, breaks in the metal on both wings. the connection has a pin that broke off. The bolts on the truck side mount won't stay tight have to tighten after every use and have noticed lately it won't pick up as high as when it was new.

Just looking on input as what my options are will warrenty cover anything? Will the dealer fix everything. I went back to my FISHER X-V which has seen 2 winters and no major problems.

Pretty much have given up on selling it.
    Dont feel Blizzard designed this for comercial use if after 6 months it is ready to be thrown away.

pics are here
    http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=55291&stc=1&d=1237239835

http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=55292&stc=1&d=1237239844

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

lol 8 storms

3. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

wow you sure this plow is 6 month old ? I would try to talk to the dealer if no use talk to the region sales rep for the company and go up the ladder as they ignore you

I am sure you will get somewhere, good luck

4. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

wow maybe i wont be going to blizzard for the expandable wing plows might just go with fisher and deal with having a smaller blade thats reliable.that is rediculous wear for a blade not even a year old...

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Are you sure you're telling us everything? That plow looks really USED. Was it new when you bought it? I've had my blizzard 8611LP for 3 seasons now, over 60 times out with it. I have the same cutting edges on it still! The paint on yours is sooo faded, is it stored outside facing the sun? Also it sounds like you have some stuff stuck in the wing areas, mine goes straight to scoop if too much ice or snow is wedged in those areas. Usually works itself out though. Maybe you're just having bad luck with yours, but I suspect your abusing the s---t out of it or someone else did!!

6. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Are you pushing SNOW or DIRT ??? That plow looks 5 yrs old ....

7. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I assure you this plow was brand new out of the box in October 2008. Has seriously only seen 8 storms. I am the only one who has plowed with it. I don't beat plows my XV that has seen 2 winters still looks like it is new and it went throught last winter which was even worse.

Under advisement from the dealer about stuff in the wings I power wash out each wing after every storm. The plow doesn't sit outside it goes in the garage.

Nothing has been left out it is all the truth.

At 6 months old this plow is a pile of crap.

I'm going to try my hand with the dealer but they have blown me off in the past and I suspect they wil do the same again

8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Good luck with your issues. I hope the dealer steps up to help. Sometimes you get a lemon, sounds frustrating. I bet you are able to sell it if that's the route you take, people are always looking for used plows. Then buy the plow you are comfortable with.

9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

WOW man, that thing looks terrible! I do have to ask though, what have you been plowing with it? A gravel yard or what? I have never seena blade chewed up like that after 8 plows! The only thing that looks "new" on that plow is the snowfoil on the top. OUCH!

10. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I learned my lesson, have always ran fisher, went out of the box and got burned. This plow is on an F-550 it plowed only asphalt the only gravel it saw was my own driveway and I usually did that with the XV.

I am pretty sure it is a lemon or that Blizzard isn't made for commercial plowing.

11. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck with the blizzard. I have been there too and know how frustrating it can be. It is easy to blame problems on abuse intead of just fixing them! My first blizzard was an 03 810. It worked great the first season only one warranty repair. I broke the spring in the slide box. My second season was where the frustration began. I was chasing bad wires in my headights, bad valves, and coils. I also broke more springs in the wing ( I was told not to pull back soo much snow) . At the time I was on my own the dealer was over and hour away and I installed the plow so they would tell me I did something wrong. I spent alot of time on the phone with the tech line ( I beleive his name was johnathan) working through my problems. Even with all of the trouble and down time the plow was too productive to go back to my western. I learned alot more than I ever wanted to but that's how it goes for me. The more functions your plow has the more to go wrong.

Now as for the problems with your plow
    1) your motor died , was there corrosion in it? Did a brush break? What failed? Is it working fine now? Did the dealer fix it?

2) your wings open right up, Are the return springs broken? Are they set too loose?

3) wearing out wing edges, Do you plow along alot of curbs? Have you replaced the main edge? If your wings are scooped all of the time they can wear faster depending on your push bean height.

4) Your truck side mount comes loose. Have you tried an thread lock or vibra stop on the bolts? Maybe as simple as a new bolt?

5) plow doesn't lift high, Is it hitting something? Motor weak? fluid low?

It sounds like alot of dumb problems that are happening with your plow adding up to one big P.I.T.A. I know you shouldn't have to deal with this on a new piece of equipment but it happens. My old blizzard was a handful but my truck was great. Now my new blizzard is great and the new truck in a P.O.S. If your dealer or another one can help you through these problems you should be back in buisness with a productive plow:drinkup: I know of guys with new western( me) , fisher, and boss plows that had more then one brake down when new. I think it is just good luck vs. bad luck !!! Sorry for the long post. I am just trying to get a better understanding of your plow/dealer issues.

Good luck , shaun

12. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I really don't mean to doubt you, and given I don't see as much snow down here, but my 810 has been through a dozen storms or so. It looks brand new with the exceptions of a few rusty scratches and the usual bleed through rust stains on the welds. That blade had to have more then 8 pushes on it. Wing edge are an easy fix (winter xtendors). I'd love to buy that plow, but the distance and the fact that is does have a lot of wear (weather 8 pushes or not) your price has been too high. Also IMO a 500 is too much truck for an LP. You should have the full size 8611 on that truck.

13. articstorm

articstorm Member

Sorry you had such bad luck with your plow. I purchased a new 860SW in November and it has been out on 40 different days this winter and logged over 160 hours. It looks no where near as rough as your does. The paint has held up extremely well and it was only washed three times. It has some small spots of rust on the back side around the clearances for the nuts on blade and a few scratches on the front but nothing major. Even the stickers still are bright red and all there. My plow was used in Western Michigan on very salty roads and it gets a good amount of road running during the season.

My plow wasn’t without some issues. I had to have the truck side wiring harness replaced and the lock bolts that hold the bushing in place come loose very easily. That’s about it for problems. It has been the best plow I have ever used overall.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think the plow looks that bad, at least paintwise. I believe your usage numbers are true. The lettering is still good, and the red stripes are mostly there. The paint looks pretty decent, except on the ends. That may be due to the wings banging around, apprently they don't work properly.

I love plowing with my XV, but it has been far from trouble free. Most issues were minor, but a couple major ones. Regardless of the magnitude of the problem, they all left me dead in the water. Fortunately, my dealer is only 15 minutes away, and they have been fantastic. Full metal working shop, parts on hands, and years of experience. Anytime I had a problem, they took care of me ASAP. I have bolts that wont stay tight too. Put in new hardware, with lockwashers and regular nuts. Double nutted with Nylock nuts. Only plowed once since I added them, so I can't really report any improvement. You mentioned you keep in the garage. Is it heated? That will accelerate the salt corrosion.

Regardless, your dealer needs to get on the stick here. If he won't do anything, call the Blizzard office. Don't give up until you get some decent answers.

15. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

come on. I call bs. I have 3 blizzards that have all seen 20 plus pushes a season over 3 years and don't look that bad. Keep in mind they are on an F350 pickup, F450 dump loaded with salt, and an F550 dump with even more salt. Must be the driver/operator.

16. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I agree Ken.

17. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I agree.
    8 pushes seems low for Portland this year. Didn't they get 10 storms this season over
    12" ?

How many hours equal a push, 20-30 ? Maybe the operator was fatigued and forgot about all the things they didnt "hit" at hour 25 ?

Just a heads up on the XLS, if you had problems ripping the heck out of Blizzard wing edges, you best purchase a boat load of rubber edges for the Fisher XLS. They are a wear item that will NOT hold up to the cowboy who rode that plow. Fisher will NOT warranty them either.

The Blizzard Plows are good plows, there not for everyone for sure.
    Every plow has there weakness's, and they usually start with a ****** dealer.
    I know for a fact, I could take any New plow produced today, beat the piss out of it, and cry foul. Claiming there not commercial quality too.

DD is using the same crappy parts in Blizzard, Fisher, and Western. So dont be surprised if you have "issues" with the new yellow one's too.

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm going to have to say I believe him. The wear does look like alot more then 8 storms but he has no reason to lie and judging buy his other posts I see no reason not to believe him.

19. MnM

MnM Senior Member

I dont even want to show you my 8611lp which was bought this year and after 7 plows the thing still lokks brand new...........A friend also bought the same plow and it looks like yours, been through hell and back, not sure what gives but this year the durability of the blizzards seem to vary greatly

20. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

I have to say bs unless you are plowing over 200 miles during each of the storms!!!! being a dealer I have seen way worse but that thing looks used not new it has visible signs of alot of wear. I just bought a used 810 that I sold new in 2001 and I know who had it and it was beat but didnot look like that. What is the model and serial # and I will tell all how old it is!!!!!!!!!:nono: