1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Not Impressed!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Trosscam, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Trosscam

Trosscam Junior Member

Yea I'm gonna hear it for this one but oh well. Had 2 Western full trip unimounts before I got talked into my current MM. I got to hear how Fisher is the best and trip edges rule....blah, blah, blah. OK, I got this plow used with 2-3 seasons on it and I've had it going on my 4th winter and it'll be my last...sorry guys. Now I'm not saying the Western is the better made plow seeing as they're the same company but it was better for me since it was full trip. OK, I gotta say it, I'm done with trip edges. The violent trips and stones getting caught in the gap...gotta be a smooth, hard surface or forget it. And the finish is just as bad if not worse for rusting. Holy crap, my buddy's boss is the same age with more use and hardly any corrosion. Mine is rusted everywhere. I've replaced all the hoses and the harness connection and he has his originals. And now the fishstik controller just went. WTF? I know they each have their benefits and drawacks but damn.... I'm convinced at this point. Just venting....

2. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

The circuit boards are common to go on the fish sticks.As far as the rust.It depends how you take care of it if you oil it every season and wash it after every storm it won't rust much.But if your plow taking the plow off and leaving of course it's going to rust out.

3. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

my 1st troll sighting in here Thumbs Up

4. chevyzrule810

This plow is a 1995 bought brand new.Pressure washed after each use and stored in a heated garage.Plow is almost 20 years old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. chevyzrule810

I would only buy a fisher.Great selection of different plows and easy to mount.Parts are easy to get

6. Trosscam

Trosscam Junior Member

Thats amazing...mine looks like crap and I've sanded and repainted it once already. I do store it outside but I get the truck and plow carwell treated every season. I will say it's pretty heavy and back drags better than my westerns. What advantages are people going for with the trip? With having a stone drive and parking area, it's nothing but a pain for me.

7. Trosscam

Trosscam Junior Member

And why did they have to weld the chain on?

8. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Where are the chains welded on? None of my plows or ones I have seen have had a chain welded on....

9. chevyzrule810

Chain is held on with u-bolts so it can be adjusted

10. Trosscam

Trosscam Junior Member

My chains cannot be removed from the top arm, they're attached by a welded loop bracket. The chains are bolted on the last link to the bottom frame and barely long enough. Plow comes off the ground on dips...would have to cut the mounts to put longer chains on. Bad design in my book.

11. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Take a pic as I am misunderstanding.

12. Trosscam

Trosscam Junior Member

not quite in the position but its 2 chains, one longer to short chain it. both are attached to the top arm separately on a welded loop. I've seen others where the chain goes through a loop on the top arm....wish i had that setup. might have to mod it some day.

13. gtmustang00

from Berlin

All the new Fishers I have seen 2014 models, have one chain that is bolted to the a frame on both sides and goes through the triangle. Very adjustable. If not getting enough droop, a longer chain is necessary.

14. Trosscam

Trosscam Junior Member

if the left chain were longer, it would be fine. making me wonder if it was modified before i got it.

15. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Both sides of the 1 chain should be the same length...

16. Trosscam

Trosscam Junior Member

its 2 separate chains on mine...that's the problem

17. gtmustang00

from Berlin

Take a couple pictures when you can.

18. myzx6

myzx6 Member

Just unhook the left chain when you are plowing, it is just a safety chain for when you are driving down the road. On my mm1 I have a small clip that I added to hang the chain to the main chain so it doesn't get hung up on the a-rm when I angle my blade. Also the main chain is adjusted from the u bolts on the bottom at the a frame, I believe spec is 10" of exposed lift piston when blade is fully raised, if I remeber correctly, as for plowing over stones do you run shoes???? I don't and have no problems, I drop my blade then pick it back up ever so slightly and it works great for all the crap places I need to scrape. The benefit of a trip edge is when it does trip you only loose a little bit of snow unlike a trip blade that looses all of it

19. Trosscam

Trosscam Junior Member

^^^that's a good idea. I always figured both chains had to be connected for safety. if i could go with one chain that's an easy quick fix. i don't run shoes as i'm half stone, half paved. Unfortunately, my stoned area is uneven which makes it worse. I try to back drag it mainly. I never liked shoes and never needed them until this plow. Yea the full trip definitely leaves a pile. Since I only do my driveway and occasionally a few others its not a big deal. I just liked the full trip action when bumping curbs, stumps, etc.

20. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

Looks nice! however, most of us dont have the luxury of being able to wash our plows after every storm & store them in a heated garage. believe me if I could then I would.