1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

not impressed with my new boss

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by smoothbore2004, Nov 23, 2005.

1. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 Member
    from Indiana

Ok guys it took me awhile to change over but i decided to switch to a boss after running western for years. I have to tell you i am not impressed with alot of things. First do all your plows have a seperate light switch that you have to use when the plow is on. And the controller buttons are hard to get use to cause the left and right button are so big everytime i hit the up or down button i hit the left or right also.. As for the hydrolics well yeah the respond good but are very jerky as in the western it has a damper system that allows the plow to come to a slow controlled stop instead of a hard stop. Hell it rocks my truck all over the place. The hitch system well i am starting a pool as to how many new cuss words i can create everytime i try to hook up. I dont mean to sound like a prune but i am not sure if i made the right choice. Any thoughts guys please give me some opinions that will make me feel better about this purchase.
  2. paponte

paponte Senior Member

As far as I know there is a toggle switch for all plow brands to switch between plow and truck. The hydraulics are alot faster than any other brand we use, and yes they do bang when they hit the stop. guess thats something you have to get used to in order to have faster movement. As far as the hitch system, it has to be one of the easiest on the market IMO. Once your lined up it's 123... done. Buttons, I have joysticks so I can't help you on that one. :cool:
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's takes alittle time getting used to. it for 16 yrs i plowed with a standard with fisher hydro plow. Now i have the boss v plow with the hand control wouldn't go back to anything else.
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Is it a new plow?? If it is, either the undercarriage isn't mounted right, or you need some work yourself :jester:

I can't see how it can be that hard, unless you're like alot of guys on here, and didn't remember that you've got to put the plow in float in order to use the toggle switch on the plow-light upright.

As for the switch to toggle back and forth between the headlights for the plow and truck, you're right. I had a Western on a '95 Dodge, that when you plugged the lights in, it automatically switched the headlights.

I've had a Leo plow, 3 Diamonds, a Hiniker, 2 Boss', and that Western. So far all of the plows have had seperate switches, except for the Western.
  5. SnowDozers

SnowDozers Member

Fisher/Western use the same "Isolation Module" that automatically switches to the plow lights when you plug them in. I don't know why nobody else does this.
  6. Pwdurhound

Pwdurhound Junior Member

New Boss

I have also purchased a new boss straight blade for my 05 Sierra. After using one last year helping out a friend, I decided it was the plow for me. Yes, the control pad is a bit odd ( I have xxl hands) but you will get acclimated to the system after a while, I find jamming the handle in between the seat and center booster seat gives me much better feel for the buttons than holding the thing, but if that doesnt work for you, I suggest buying the joystick (ebay has them all the time dirt cheap). I also suggest that you pay attention to what your next pass will be and adjust the blade at the very end of your current run with the blade down as this does not jerk the truck around like it does when its up. My buddy's plow is over 10 yrs old and it still has had no failures.... you made a good choice, just one you need to adjust to....:nod:
  7. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Snoway does this......
  8. ABM

ABM Junior Member

I have two Boss V's and feel that they are the best plow... for me. I like the fact that you can easily turn the truck headlights on if needed, like when a hose blows at three in the morning and you need some light behind the blade to change it. I didn't like the handheld control as well as the joystick, the joystick is more natural feeling to me... just like running a loader. I feel that the boss mounting system is the best one I've seen although it has given me a problem before when I forgot to oil the sliding pins on the mount.
  9. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

I also have a new BOSS st blade which I'm trying to get use to. Bought it in July took it home unhooked it . It sat theretill two weeks ago I figured i'd better practice hooking it up while the weather was nice. The ground was uneven and I was concerned if it would hook up, I brought a large pry bar with me. It took two trys to line up mounting slots. Hooked up the two plugs. Trying to remember my dealer's three minute instructions I hooked up the hand contol turned on the switch pressed the down button till it turned red (float). I turned the mounting pins,hit the toggle switch,the tower raised ,it was on and pins locked. It did raise the front of the truck 2-4 inches as the tower raised. Easy, Boss and I are going to get along just fine.
    Happy Holidays
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I also have been pleased with the fast and reliable service that my Boss V plow has given us over the last 7 years.
    Sorry, to hear about your problems, but did you try one before you got one?
    Now, for the controller did you pick up the one at the dealer and try it out? That would haven the time to do it. You probably could have substitute the Joy-stick for the push button one.
  11. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 Member
    from Indiana

thanks for the replys

Well as for the testing a plow before i bought one i am not sure how to achieve this cause i didnt personally know anyone that had one i could test. And i am sure the dealer wouldnt give me one to try out. The controller i will have to just get use to and the rest we will have to see. thanks again guys
  12. RadHog

RadHog Junior Member

my 9 foot super duty is awesome... had western and meyer b4. Boss the best in my opinion... I thought that my plow slammed back and fourth also... I went back to dealer and he gave me the BRAND new handheld control with auto up and down.... was supppose to get that one with my plow anyways... I hooked up the new remote and now it still moves extremely fast but it doesnt slam when it comes to a stop! Got me!!! Hooking up is also one of the best I think in the industry..
  13. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I say... give it a chance... At first anything different takes a little while to get used too.

I'm sure there all good compaired to the past, were just spoiled. better faster better faster..lol
  14. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

iam getting a boss 8ft stright plade tripedge on wed.:drinkup: been shoping along time .allways had a fisher my son has a fisher and we never had any troubles but iam going to try boss well have a good fleet .
  15. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 Member
    from Indiana

Brand new boss for sale

hey vipereng i have a brand new boss 8ft for sale. Its too bad your in CT anyway last night i had my truck in the shop with my buddys and he has a 8ft pro plus (western) and comparing apples to apples i have to say i left kinda upset. But i am stuck withit for now. I hope i dont have nearly the amount of breakdowns he has cause i will never hear the end of it from him.
  16. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

dont sell it boss is way better then western you will be sorry