1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Not Having Any Luck!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Team2, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Team2

Team2 Junior Member

Hi, I have been visiting this site for quite awhile and have just now joined. It is a great site and very informative. Here is the situation. A friend who has a part-time lawn care service for over 10 years offered them to us (not the lawn care) just the snowblowing. He just wanted to do the lawncare. He had offered the service but just wanted out of that part so we took over that part but we would also like to offer this service to other companies. We are not offering snowplowing just sidewalk snowblowing. We are hoping to start our own lawncare in the spring of 04' (parttime) and we are putting money away for that and would like to make some money snowblowing sidewalks or whatever this year. We do not plan on getting into plowing for a couple of years(maybe) even though the money is better! We have answered ads for sidewalk shovelers and when they find out we are a business they won't even discuss trying us out even though we are in the very early stages and have not really even started yet. They act like we are trying to steal accounts! We just want to do their sidewalk work so they can keep their drivers in their trucks which looks like what most plowers like to do because that is where the money is at. What should we do? I thought it we would have had a better response than what we have had. Any suggestion would be appreciated!
  2. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Well I don't know if I can help or not but was thinking from my end what I would see when you approached me with your proposal. These are the quick thoughts of an old guy.

1. Your age - now, you are not old (at least not like me) but you and your wife may appear, or may be thought to be, less able than a younger person. Now that is likely to be totally untrue because when you have your own business you will probably work harder but I might not think of that if you don't tell me.

2. Your needs - will you and your wife require better remuneration than a younger person (my thoughts as a prospective person hiring sidewalk cleaners)? Do you give a dollar value on the work you wish to perform?

If your request for pay is not stated then I would be thinking, "I have my own throwers and an ATV so all I need is some responsible young people, whose needs are likely to be lower than yours." I might be wrong but those would be my thoughts.

May be you could tell me what you have to offer and why I might want to hire you?

You have a good plan that might work, because I sure know I hate getting out of the truck, maybe the presentation needs work?

Try it here first, I'm sure there are a more than a few of us that would like to see another successful snow manager.:) :)
    Keep us posted. I for one am interested in how you do.
  3. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

get a hold of local plow companies. companies like ours that are medium size dont like doing shoveling, but we cant get away from it. we hire a few guys that will go around in one of our trucks and do all the walks while one stays in the truck and will plow very small stuff. it costs us plenty and ties up a truck. we would like to sub out the walks to someone else if it was makes sense dollar wise. you would have to sign a no-compete clause. i see you are in "western mi" also. i'm not sure how all the "pm" stuff works but try and send me a message. i know of a few smaller companies/guys (1-3 trucks) that have to do walks and dont want to.