1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Not happy with service, looking for someone new

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by ChevKid03, Dec 9, 2008.

1. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I received word that my dads friends wife runs a local business about 5 minutes away from my house and that she wasn't happy with the plow guy last year..... I haven't done much commercial and need some help bidding. It will be without salt. It only needs to be opened by 9:00 a.m. and stay "fairly" clean throughout 5:00 p.m. The lot is shaped like an "L" and has a TON of places to put snow so it wouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes to do.. The long side of the "L" is about 75' by 25'. The small side is about 50' by 20'.... Any idea what I should charge for this? I don't want to turn into "lowballer mcgee"... Thanks for the help... wesport

2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

for not even 3000sqft and assuming there is a short walk to shovel and if its as easy as you say with no salt i would bid around $50.

3. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Thanks Terrapro...I was thinking right in that ballpark myself.

4. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

If you unsure about pricing but capable of doing the job and you guys are friends with the people maybe explaining to them that you have no problems doing the lot and can keep up with the needed demand but are no sure how to price it maybe you can ask them what they are currently paying?Also keep in mind that it can be appealing to make a few bucks plowing snow that if your protecting yourself with commercial insurance and someone slips and falls you have a chance of being sued and no insurance carrier to help protect you.

5. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Like MAR4CARS said, Ask them what they are paying. If they aren't happy with the service, it is probably too cheap. What every they say, your answer should be "Well I was thinking (add $10 or $20 to the price.)

Also, you can get away with plowing drives without insurance, because the chance of something happening is smaller. (I'm not recommending that you don't get insurance if you only do residentials) For commercial, you have ALOT more people walking across that parking lot, therefore A LOT greater chance for someone to fall. Get insurance. (you might have it already, I don't know)

6. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Thank you both for the advice about the insurance. I spoke with my insurance agent a few weeks ago (close friend of the family) and she told me I was absolutely fine with plowing drives etc and that she added something to the premium that allows me to "work" my truck. I'll have to give her another ring.

Thanks!!

7. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

no, that will not do. she must mean that your truck is now commercially insured that will not cover you for plowing or "street cleaning". you need general liability also.

8. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

terra is right. You need Business General Liability insurance. I have 2 million but who I do work for requires it. 1 mill is standard.

What else do you do for a ling? Are you a landscaper? If so, you should have it anyway. Do you have a business name?

You might just want to stay residential. You should also have that stuff for residentials.

9. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

with the cost of the additonal insurance you will lose money on that lot

10. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

Yeah I would agree with the others. Get commercial insurance. Make sure your agent is aware that you have a "company" vehicle and that you'll be plowing. It would be great advertising for you if you plowed that lot. Probably could lead to other business, but you have to make sure you have the right insurance or your business and personal finances will be in serious jeopardy. Especially with the sue happy society we live in.