1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

not getting spark

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by peanut46g, Jan 2, 2004.

1. peanut46g

peanut46g Member

I have a 1987 F-150 straight 6 cyl. and it's not getting any spark. I replaced the coil, but it's still not getting any spark. Can anybody please help?

2. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

what about the module on the side of the dist ?

3. peanut46g

peanut46g Member

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I replaced that also. I replaced that also that's why I'm totally stumped why I'm not getting spark. Thanks for the help.

4. boogiedown40

boogiedown40 Junior Member

I had a similar problem with my 87. However I have a 5 liter in mine. The problem with mine was the fuel relay on the driverside fender well. make sure the fuel pump is turning on when you turn the ignition on. If the fuel pump does not turn on the coil will not give spark.;)

5. peanut46g

peanut46g Member

I disconnected the fuel line and the fuel pump is pumping fuel. This is very frustrating to go through this and everything seems to be working but it's just not getting spark. Thank you for the input.

6. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

No Fire

Remove your Dist cap, have someone turn it over, check to make sure your dist shaft is turning. If it is not turning your timing chain or gear is GONE...

7. peanut46g

peanut46g Member

I took the cap off and the shaft is turning. While I was there I checked everything and it all looks good. Just for the heck of it I replaced the plug wires, but still no spark. I can't find what's wrong with this thing. PLEASE help.
    Thanks, Dan

8. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Eletronic Ignition unit

Check your Electronic Ignition unit, or in some cases I have seen what they call a T.D.C sen go bad (T)op (D)ead (C)enter). Need more Info........

9. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

NO SPARK !!!

Heres another thing to check, You will find a switch under your dash it's a emergency shut off, try resetting this switch.

10. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

the problem is it is a ford :D calm down I'm joking

my friend fried his distributor he changed everything and checked all he didn't to find out he fried it he changed it and it started

just a thought

11. JMR

JMR Senior Member

1) check for power at the ignition coil with a test lite. The + side should have power with the key on. 2) with a test lite check the other side of the coil check when cranking, lite should flash. If you don't unplug the spout connector(the little green connector near the distributor(2 wires with a plastic jumper) If you have spark when this is removed the distributor itself is OK and the problem lies elsewhere.3)if you have power with the spout jumper removed it is on to the computer system. You may have no power to the computer(bad power or ground, bad EEC relay, bad computer or wiring). If you don't have spark with the spout removed and you have power to the coil, the problem lies in the distributor. Get this info then repost and I can give you the next steps from there. Note: the vehicle should run with the spout disconnected if the distributor is OK but timing will be FIXED at base timing usually 10 deg. on a Ford.

12. JMR

JMR Senior Member

The emergency switch under the dash is called the interia switch. This only shuts off the fuel pump.

13. peanut46g

peanut46g Member

There is power on one side of the spout but there is no power on the other side of the spout.
    Thanks, Dan

14. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Please read carefully my post above for testing. I assume you are saying that there is power at the + terminal of the ignition coil. It should flash on the other side when the engine is cranking.

15. peanut46g

peanut46g Member

Yes there is power at the + terminal of the ignition coil, and yes it is flashing when the engine is cranking. The spout connector with the two green wires by the distributor has power on one side, but does not have power on the other side.

16. JMR

JMR Senior Member

If it is flashing you are triggering the coil, so it should have spark.:confused: :confused: Power to oneside of coil, flashing the other side- Right. I've got to go plow, lots to do, I'll check back later.

17. peanut46g

peanut46g Member

yes after testing it the power is getting to the distributor, but none of the spark plug wires are getting power. The distributor shaft is turning when I turn it over. Does this mean the problem is either the distributor or the distributor cap? Is there anything else besides the module, which I replaced, that can prevent the spark plug wires from getting power?

18. meyer&western

meyer&western Junior Member
    from 45308

fire

hello i had a 88 ford do that i changed all the stuff and had no luck some one told to change the pick up coil in side the dist and that fixed it the bad thang is i spent over 150.00 and the pick up coil was 11.00 :realmad:

19. boogiedown40

boogiedown40 Junior Member

When you say you got power to th distributor do you mean you are getting a good strong spark from the coil or are you saying that you have power to the modular thats on the distributor?

20. peanut46g

peanut46g Member

I'm getting spark from the coil and I'm getting power to the modular on the side of the distributor. Thanks for the input.