1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

not getting power to the factory tow plug. 05 f350

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ducaticorse, Jan 23, 2013.

1. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I went under the truck and uncliped the plug and used a light test on the individual receptacles. Nothing.

Lights on truck all work otherwise. Tried grounding the light on several spots, nothing.

2. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Did your receptacle have power at one point? What does not have power, everything or 12V+ or what?

3. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

There is a fuse to the plug in the fuse box under the hood. Believe its a 10a check manual for sure though.

4. ducaticorse

from we

Yes it did. Everything is 12V. This piece of **** was working fine two weeks ago.

I don't believe there is a fuse box under my hood on the model year. So far, the only block I've found are relays.

5. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

You will have fuses for each connection it will ether be under the hood or under the dash. On my truck I think they are all 7.5 fuses Check your owners manual it will list everything.

6. ducaticorse

from we

I have checked the manual, and rechecked the manual. The only fuses relating to the trailer lighting are run lights and back up lights and they test out with the light. According to the manual, there is no under hood fuse box, only a three place relay block.

7. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

I have an 07 and have one under the hood

8. ducaticorse

from we

my truck is actually an 04, not an 05. Not sure if that makes a difference. Maybe I do have a fuse block under the hood, I havent found it yet, and the manual mentions nothing of it either. Is it possible for you to snap a pic of yours and post it here please?

9. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

D/R OP just said it in above post

10. shovelracer

Yes everything is 12v but I meant the 12v supply. I ask because there are a few circuits. It is all harnesses so get tracing back to the fuse panel. Wouldn't be the first time either if your receptacle was corroded and the terminals bridged each other. The park relay I believe is under the hood by firewall. The fuses are under the dash. It is unlikely that everything went at once. Most likely is the ground went or corrosion got ya.

11. ducaticorse

from we

I have zero patience for tracing a bad ground or snapped/frayed wire. I will go buy a clip in 4 plug tomorrow and be done with it. I don't use trailer brakes anyway F this **** in this - 7 weather.

12. shovelracer

I'm confused you have power through the wires to connect a new 4 wire? 4 wires have a ground too.

13. ducaticorse

from we

On a simple clip in unit, the power is taken off of the tail lights. you splice directly into the tail lights.

14. ducaticorse

from we

I only need brake/run/directional light

15. shovelracer

and a ground, could be cheaper to throw in a new ground wire first.

16. ducaticorse

from we

Looks like the ground is bolted to the frame right by the end of the connector. It does not appear to be in bad shape either. I will give it a shot, but I don't see that being the culprit.

17. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

On my 02 F350 has a Power fuse that gives power to the brake,turn,tail lights fuse like a main fuse If it blows your trailer plug wont have power

Have you check the fuse panel make sure none is blown best way is with a test light