1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Not getting any calls for Plow bids

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jpocket, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

The calls started rolling in in September from Management companies seeking bids for Lots. Now the phone is dead as far as plowing is concerned. Im in South PA, I would think more ppl. would be calling with all the leaves falling and temps in the 40's at night.
    Anybody else in this area experiencing the same thing? So far I only have a few lots that a finalized. I have a feeling that the bulk of our work will come after the first small storm hits.

Im trying to establish our snow operations this year, so far we are doing so-so.
  2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Same thing here. Phone was crazy a few weeks ago turned in bids and now nothing. I had'nt heard from most places from last year untill i started calling them last week, everyone confirmed srevices for this year. I still have 15 or so bids out for this year, if i don't hear from them soon i will have to call and push them along. Every year I get several people that think just because we submitted a bid that we have their account, and we are expected to do them first even though they never call to confirm. :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: payup
  3. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Yea i mean most of the earlier bids we put in, i was not interested in. Most were too big, or were looking for a dirt cheap bid. I can't believe some of the calls we got this year from large commercail customers asking for bids. We did bid them though, I just figure i could add a sub or two if they were awarded to us.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

People fall into two main groups - Proactive and Reactive. You've had the Proactive - Those who plan for something which may (will) happen. Now you have to wait for the Reactive - Those who fail to plan and react to that which happened (snow).
  5. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

How does one get bids "rolling in" from management companies.

Im curious.
  6. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

Its simple stupid.

First you find out what it cost the last guy to do it.

Then, you bid it for thousands less and include salt, walkways and free unloading of snow that cannot remain on the site.

You then offer November for free and while you are at it, throw in April as well.

Just kiddin about the stupid part.
  7. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Thats a sure way outta business.
  8. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

To get bid packages from management companies, they need to be able to find YOU.

Cold calling can work, but for the most part it's better if they can you, that way you don't have to worry about getting your foot in the door. Also if your already in the lawn/landscape bus. most of the time you'll already have a list of customers to target.
  9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Patience my fellow plow friends,lol wait til' the first little bit of snow starts to fly. Just keep on advertising, making some cold calls there are a TON of bids still out there waiting for approval. Its funny how some companies wait until the very last minute to sign and other's have confirmed in August.:dizzy:
  10. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Not Here

I usually am to busy dong landscaping to bid snow, and every November I say" i should have knocked on some doors last september " well i did this year and we have more work than we know what to do with. Two Lowes, three strip malls, lots of offices and TWO 40 - 50 acre mall/outlet centers! Hold on dear subs!!!! and let it snow:redbounce :redbounce :redbounce