1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Not firing on 8cyl

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TrailK10, Oct 8, 2005.

1. TrailK10

TrailK10 Member
    from NH

My 84 K10 does not seem to want to stay running on 8 cylinders the truck sits quite a bit and i don't use it much. everytime i go to start it it runs like crap then i put new plugs in it and it runs good again until it sits for awhile. It has a 350 and a edlebrock carb on it. It used to run real good could it be that the carb is too big? have a cracked block? stuck valve or lifter or worn cam any help would be apreciated thanks.

2. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Have to start somewhere

Hard to tell, but I would start with the basics.A compression test would be my first move(each cyl should be within 15% of each other).That will tell you the condition of the cylinders,maybe a leakdown test next(Valve condition).If those check out ok atleast you know the base motor is good.
    Older Chevys had Cam issues, the chrome would wear off soft lobes or something like that.Had one in my old Vette.
    Hope this gives you some direction.

3. Willy-D8

Willy-D8 Member

I want to start by saying I am by no means an auto tech but I've done some work on and own an 86' k10 w/ a 305. I use the truck to push a few residentials in the winter and use it on my family farm in the summer. The truck frequently sits for weeks at a time and does have a mis if it is not "cleaned out" or ran regularly. I try to atleast run the truck down the road at good rpm to "clean it out" for a little while or just sit in the truck and run it up to about 3000 rpm for a few minutes until the smoke clears out and the motor "cleans out".

Hope this helps a little. Seems to work out alright for me. I'll probably do a complete tune up this fall before snow flys. The truck has the stock Q-Jet carb in it.