1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Not enough power for electric spreader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Four Seasons, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Four Seasons

Four Seasons Senior Member

Has anyone had to come up with a solution for running out of electric power in your plow truck? My new sander has two electric motors and a vibrator. Its not spreading effectively and the plow moves very slowly while the sander is on. I ran another wire from my altenator to the 2nd truck battery which helped a little. Should I get a bigger altenator? give the sander its own battery? Or just replace my truck batteries which are original-2007.

2. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping Senior Member

plow the lot then drive around the lot and salt.

3. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Big 3 upgrade.

4. Stove

Stove Member

Yep what MCG said!

5. Four Seasons

Four Seasons Senior Member

I am. Its still very weak! moving the plow will just about turn the sander off

6. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Never move the plow when running the sander.

7. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

6 year old batterys probably getting weak , which does not help situation.

8. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I just switch to electric, i hope this isn't a issue, i would have stayed with gas...

I would change batteries, maybe add a battery for spreader it self...

9. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

You are running batteries from 07????? Yea maybe time to buy new! I would bet good money that will take care of the problem. Thumbs Up

10. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I run a snow ex 8500 on a single battery, stock alternator and wiring and a plow on one truck and never have a problem. This truck probibaly spreads 50+ ton/year.

11. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Replace the 2 in the truck and add a 3rd for the spreader also, then you have a spare battery to.

12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Probably your 2007 batteries are getting a little weaker, (though I have never had a battery better than an OEM one). Alternator should be plenty big on that truck, though you can probably figure out what it is either by tag or option code. Electric motors do draw alot of power, my 3/4hp leeson draws 58 amps! I added a 3rd battery to my truck in the salter, since it was a gas to electric conversion it had a tray location anyways. I'm still not thrilled with the power draw these days, wondering if my motor is wearing and drawing more--bought a clamp meter to find out, haven't had a chance to. Also purchased a spare motor just in case. My problem is when it starts to work really hard it wants to slip the alt belt. Considering going to dual pulleys.

13. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Wow! Is it typical of a sander to draw that much power?

14. CreativeEarth

CreativeEarth Junior Member

I had the same problem. I kept killing batteries. I had to upgrade alternator. I bought from https://www.dcpowerinc.com/. It was pricey but now I run the spreader with 2 motors, strobe, plow and never have a problem or run my batteries down.

15. derekbroerse

That number comes off the tag on it, I've never actually measured it. I would imagine that is the max draw its supposed to pull under heavy loaded startup?

Most salters only have 1/3 or 1/2hp electric motors, so they would draw alot less, I was converting and replacing a 10.5hp gasser, so I went for the overkill motor lol... keep in mind many salters have more than one motor, mine only has the one.

16. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Clean and tighten all of your terminals. Bad connections raise hell on battery's.

17. derekbroerse

That too. I just assumed that would already be done, 1st thing I would check!

18. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, that can cause problems.

19. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

It might have something to do with 7 year old batteries.

20. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Guess I never even thought about it. I think I`ll find a gas model then wow.