1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

not enough plow?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by lumberjack4567, Mar 22, 2013.

1. lumberjack4567

lumberjack4567 Junior Member

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I like it. Be an animal in small lots or driveways.

I'm not saying it's a good idea due to weight, but if they did some work to the suspension and keep an eye on the frame I bet it's a money maker.
  3. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Too much plow for a half ton, and that doesn't even include the salter!
  4. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I don't understand his concept. He has too much work therefor he is selling the truck but will hire you as a sub. Just trying to be cheap?

Plow is too heavy for the truck for sure, esp since its not a solid axle.
  5. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

^Whats so superior about the solid axle?

Also...HOLY CRAP. Thats a little much, don't ya think? 3/4 ton torsion bars?
  6. Niteowl

Niteowl Junior Member

What he's really trying to say is we beat the piss out of this truck so someone should buy it and pay for the repair bills and/or end up hauling to the scrap yard because the frame is fawked.
  7. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

That its solid. I own a GM truck also so I'm not picking sides or trying to win a war.
  8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Well, there's far fewer parts to replace/repair. I have the ifs on my truck and I'll never own another one for plowing. Too many moving parts and too many things to go wrong but that's just my opinion. I know plenty of guys who swear by them and would never own a solid axle truck. To each their own I guess.
  9. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

Ha, I saw this ad this morning. you could always take the plow off and just sell the truck if you could buy it at a fair price. I thought the ad was kinda strange too.
  10. 2006Sierra1500

I've really never had experience with a solid axle truck....the 95 Dodge isn't a fair comparison and the 02 Ford only plowed one season. I can speak for IFS though. My Tahoe has 2 cranks on the bars holding up a 7'6'' Fisher HD plow. No timbrens. EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING in the front end is original except the front U-joints. Wheel bearings, tie rod ends, tie rods, ball joints, CV boots and shafts. 95k miles, in its 9th season of plowing. It has a 25-35 driveway route, never counted. The 04 2500HD has 45k miles and is all original. The 05 Yukon has new inner and outer tie rod ends at 68k miles with a plow for 4 years. The 06 Sierra has 2 newer wheel bearings and a newer idler arm with a 7'6'' HD all its life. A solid axle would have been basically rebuilt by this time.
  11. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Sorry guys not posting to start a war but i run a solid front axle superduty for the last 11 yrs and have only replaced the ball joints twice in 217,000 miles.. Love solid front axles trucks. With a 8' Meyers and now a 8' Western Pro Plus
  12. 2006Sierra1500

Know what, lets just ask EGLC. He's had more trucks in the past 5 years than most of us have had all our lives.
  13. 2006Sierra1500

Sorry, not EGLC. got-h20 is the one to ask.
  14. sparksrides

sparksrides Senior Member

I can't speak for gm's ifs but ford's older TTB was horrible, throw a ton of parts at it and an alignment and 6 months later your chewing up the otter edge of the tires all over again. so if its a ford give me a solid axle or I'm swapping one in my self... JMHO...
  15. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

yeah - the solid vs ifs front end hasnt been discussed enough around here.

lets here all about the pros and cons to each setup.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Poor little 1500
  17. tread lightly services

tread lightly services Member

reinforce the frame and that would be a great truck. nice small package. i do think the v is a little overkill on that truck though.