1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Not dropping

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ParadiseLS, Jan 4, 2012.

1. ParadiseLS

ParadiseLS Junior Member

Isarmatic Pump - plow won't drop

I removed the manifold, motor, and pump and installed them into a new pump housing. The old one was leaking, taking in water, and making snowplowing really frustrating...In spite of the leaking and the water contamination with the old housing, and the consequent freezing I had to deal with, the plow moved perfectly and worked well.

anyways, I put the new pump setup together, filled up with Blizzard Rapid Action Hydraulic Fluid (dealer said it would be as good as Western HP). Plow lifts, plow moves right to left, then I hit the switch to lower, and it will not go down.

I removed the relief valve plug to drain out the lifting ram and drop the plow. I made sure the packing nut was properly tightened, checked that the wire to the S1 valve was not loose, stripped, corroded. Refilled the pump housing and tried again. Plow lifted, turned but wouldn't lower. I loosened the quill as far out as it goes. Will not lower

I was going to do some troubleshooting this afternoon. Yesterday was way too cold, I didn't go out and bother with it. Well, when I went out today, the plow had dropped sometime in the past 24-36 hours. So I turn the truck on, lift it, angle it, drop it. BANG! *oops, the quill needs to be adjusted back to its normal setting* I adjust the quill, lift, drop, lift, drop. Everything goes great.

I take the truck for a drive to run an errand, park in the parking lot and go to lower the plow. It drops a couple inches and then stops. Hit the lower switch again, it won't budge. Still lifts, moves left, moves right perfectly.

Any ideas? I'm hoping that the brief time it was working might be clues to help me solve this problem quicker....

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

snowplow will not lower or
    lowers slowly, or will not float.

1. Incorrect hydraulic fluid for the
    temperature.
    2. Quill is adjusted in too far.
    3. Lift ram packing nut is not
    adjusted properly.
    4. Cartridge valve coils are not
    activating properly.
    5. Cartridge valves are
    contaminated and are sticking.
    6. Cartridge valves are damaged.
    1. Use recommended hydraulic fluid.
    (See page 23.)
    2. Turn quill out.
    3. Loosen lift ram packing nut.
    4. Repair or replace coils, wiring or
    cab control.
    5. Clean or replace valves. Find the
    cause of contamination. Flush
    and refill system.
    6. Replace cartridge valves
    thats from westens web site...did you check pwr at the s1?? wh/ylw?