1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Not cheap...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sharp Charge, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge Member

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I saw one of these coming through my city and hadn't ever heard of it. I figured the name spoke for itself. I like the concept, but I can't imagine the initial cost (and maintenance too) of such a thing.

By the way, check out the typo on the 900 series. It says it's 18'4" wide, which is 10' off!

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Airline Uses Melters To Eliminate Snow
    By cleveland.com
    3/11/2008
    Print This Story E-Mail This Story Save This Story

The snow was piled so high at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport on Monday that Continental Airlines resorted to melting the huge white piles that were scattered throughout the maintenance area.

Jim Montgomery, managing director of the airline's technical operations in Cleveland and about two dozen other airports, rented a snow-melting machine that turns about 35 dump truckloads of snow into 21,600 gallons of water per hour.

Montgomery wishes the airport owned such equipment.

"We're trying to get them to look at new technology," Montgomery said. "Snow melters are not a secret."

Pat Smith, spokeswoman for Hopkins, said the airport did take a look at purchasing snow-melting machines a couple of years ago but the cost was too high.

"It's three times less expensive to do what we're doing now," she said.

Two years ago the airport bought eight high-speed, multifunction snow-removal vehicles.

The machine performs three functions - plows, sweeps, blows - and cuts snow removal time in half, she said.

Snow melters, which start at $200,000, contain a hot water bath that quickly melts the snow, screens the debris and discharges the water into a storm sewer or drain.

The $500,000 Snow Dragon that Montgomery rented is manufactured in Cleveland. Since 2004, the company, a subsidiary of Park-Ohio Holdings Corp., has shipped snow melters all over the world, including Russia and Finland.

Hopkins has been seriously battling snow since about 10 p.m. Friday, when the airport's 25 snowplows got busy, said Todd Payne, the airport's chief of marketing and air service.

On Saturday, with more snow falling and blowing, the airport was down to one runway. Airport workers would close the runway, plow it, allow a few planes to land, then close it and plow some more, Payne said.

By 1 p.m. Saturday, Payne got word that Continental had canceled its flights for the rest of the day and that other airlines were following suit. Hopkins closed at 4:15 p.m.

"There weren't any airplanes landing," Payne said.

The airport reopened at 5:30 a.m. Sunday, and the first plane of the day landed at 6:10 a.m.

"This was not your everyday, run-of-the-mill snowstorm," Smith said.

Rather than use machines to melt the accumulated snow, cities in Northeast Ohio just plow it against curbs or onto empty parking lots or dump it in parks, then wait for the weather to melt it.

That's what Mentor-on-the-Lake Service Director Dwayne Bailey is counting on. He expects this week's meltdown - temperatures are expected to hit 50 by Thursday - to bring some surprises.

"We find all sorts of interesting things in the melted piles --hubcaps, mailboxes, gloves, even plow shoes," Bailey said.

But other cities can't count on a quick thaw.

In Ottawa, Ontario, which has an average snowfall of 93 inches and constant freezing temperatures throughout the winter, the city hauls snow to fenced-in disposal facilities. These days piles are 100 feet high, said Eric Collard, the city's surface operations spokesman.

"We have enough snow to fill 1,000 Olympic pools," he said.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

4. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

I think every urban area should have one. Here in Cincy they used frontend loaders and dump trucks to remove the snow from the city, it took 400 loads to get it all. Think of all the labor the taxpayers paid for that.

5. Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge Member

That's funny because Continental does not do the snow removal here in Cleveland. I'm an Air traffic controller at Cleveland Hopkins intl Airport. I deal with the plow guys clearing my runways and taxiways daily. The City of Cleveland takes care of the snow removal. Just yesterday they were working on trucking off the GIANT piles of snow on the ramp. They take them to another part of the airport and dump them. It would be smarter to have one of these machines there permanently.

6. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

the big one can do 1,440 tons an hour !!

7. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

Money

just think what you could get for renting it out over the winter to the bigger places. You could make a mint.

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Still depends on what anyone wants to pay for renting it. Most people are just too cheap.

9. lopomon

lopomon Junior Member

your runways? don't let your head get too big, sounds like you have an ego problem :)

10. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

thats a bit harsh.....:nod:..... keep adding these melters and take away more jobs....:nod::waving:

edit : not sayin these are a bad thing just think if you were the guy who was hauling it....

11. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Aren't we in the business of seeing that people get the best, most efficient & cost-effective snow removal? If snow melting is the best service for places, shouldn't we encourage that & make better names for ourselves?

12. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I looked at buying one this year, the cost was 195G + options. It will melt 240 cubic yards or 12 to 14 tandem truckloads an hour. It would also have cost me $250/hr in fuel.
    Since our city snow dump is within 5 miles, and they charge me $12.00/ a load to dump, it was not cost effective. I would have to be rent it out, and figured that would be a hard sell. To bad I did'nt, I would have made a killing. With all the snow dumps being closed, It would have been rented out 24/7 these last 3 weeks. Oh well, food for thought next year. Its a big investment to make not knowing if it will get used.

Just a curious question, what would you be willing to pay/hr to rent one of these.
    I figured I would have to charge around $850.00 an hour.

13. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Carnegie equpt. on Brook Park Rd. next to Westside auto group has one of the smaller machines in there back lot. Its impressive looking in person.

My dad said his company installed a built in version of this a few years back at some big distribution center. They set it level with the ground so the machines could just push the snow right into it. The one they did was custom built and it was 30' wide by 50' long. If he takes me to see it one day I will get photos.

14. Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge Member

HAHA... Not so much. Just remember, play nice with the guys in the tower or you'll have a LOOOONG day! :drinkup: