1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Not charging?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by NEUSWEDE, Jan 24, 2007.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

During the storm last night I was running around plowing and had a problem with the electric when position the plow everything all the dash lights would dim out and the ABS light came on in the dash. seemed like when I drove it it would get better but I got to the next place it was fine for a bit then started up again after awhile it didn't do it anymore. I was running stobes, and plow lights the fan was off and the radio was on low. This is a 2003 F-350 Dump with the 6.0 turbo Diesel.

Could it be the batteries? Could the alternator not be working right? or something else?
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Check all the connections for corrosion and tightness. Then check your grounds. If thats not it then go to an auto parts store and have them load test the battery. That will tell you if it is the battery or alternator. You can load test the battery yourself if you have the tester.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Start with the alternator and the batteries.

There is also an issue with Ford's not charging enough even when the battery is low. Others have had this problem , it is bad programming that can be overcome by adding a fielding switch that will manually allow the alt to charge the batteries.

Another wonderful decision by Ford.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I re-posted this from another question of the same type.

The big box auto part stores (and most others) will test the system and battery for free. If you have a battery charger put it on the battery and make sure it's fully charged before going.
    If you have a volt ohm meter - your battery should be 12.6 volts not running.
    When running it should be 13.5 -- 14.5 volts. The dash volt gage is just too vague to rely on for this. Check all you connections and cables before you start replacing parts. They may not look dirty until you take them apart.Clean them with wire brush and put dielectric grease on them to protect and preserve the connection. Clean all your BLACK ground wires that connect to the battery , engine , fenders and core support. Bad grounds can cause multiple problems with the engine and charging system.Unplug the alternator and look at the contacts in the plug,they burn up all the time.
    Check your serpentine belt's wear gage. You may just need a belt. If you don't have a repair manual, the library has them somewhere in the county system.
    Use the search function on the gray line at top of the page. Charging gets beat to death every year on the forum.
  5. davebreen1

davebreen1 Junior Member
    from boston

fielding switch

i looked online for fielding switch and could not find anything related. can you help?