1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Not a truck question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 78K20, Sep 18, 2003.

1. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

I have a question , its not a truck question, but since a lot of people on this site give great advice I am going to ask it. I have been driving my sister's car since my truck has been down and because I was driving it something had to happen to it. It always works like that. Anyway, It's a 98 sunfire gt with 70k and the display screen that tells the time, radio station, etc. just went black when I was driving down the interstate. What the hell could have caused this? I checked all the fuses and they are all good. The lights on the dash are on. I looked in the manual but it doesn't say anything. :realmad: Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

I assume the radio still works, but you just can't see anything on the display?
    I'm not sure on GM, but on the Ford radios there is small light bulb that backlights the digital display. On my Taurus I had to pull the radio, remove the metal cover, and take the bulb over to the dealer to find a match. Usually they are very small bulbs, about half the size of the #168 you have in your truck's dash lights.

Bruce

3. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

It could be that the LED panel is shot. When my father had his 00 Moutaineer he landed up with a new radio covered by warranty because his LED radio display went on the truck. If the bulb doesn't solve your problem, take a trip to the junk yard and see if they can give you a match for the radio that is in your car right now. If they cannot help you try going onto ebay and searching for one you might get lucky.

Jay

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

The Ford radio bulbs are quite easy to change.but most of the GM's aren't.Some are actually soldered onto the edges of the PC board.Any good radio shop should be able to do it fairly easily.Sometimes it's cheaper and easier to just pick up a used one at a wrecking yard.