1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

not a strobe question-LEDs

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Detroitdan, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I want to convert my truck to all LED bulbs. Just for looks, no real reason. I bought some clear 194 LED bulbs to do the markers, but I put one in and it looked terrible. So I need to get colored LEDs to look good behind the colored lenses (my truck has a lot of marker lights). The white bulb just overpowered the colored lens.

Anybody done this with good results? Any suggestion on how many LEDs each bulb should have? I have seen them with anywhere from 1 to 12 LEDs per bulb, don't know which would look best.

Also, once that is done I am going to probably change my turn signals and brake lights over as well. Do I need any kind of load device to make them work right?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  2. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

I have done the same thing to my truck, an F150. Every light that comes on in the parking light position is LED so i can in theory leave my truck for hours with its parking lights on and it won't die. In all my 194 type marker bulbs, I have the 4 diode size 194s. In my brake and turns I have the power tower 20 diode LEDS from TMI leds. I did have to put in resistors to get the lights to flash right after they were changed, but there are rare few vehicles out there that do not need resistors. If you live anywhere near the NH/MA 95 area, I wouldn't mind showing them to you as I'm only 22 mins down 95 from the border.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  3. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

thanks, I'll go with the 4 diodes. Are the resistors expensive or complicated? I wouldn't think they would be.

4. BlueLine Ent

No, not really. They're easy to install and cheap enough.

5. JPLTrucking

JPLTrucking Member

Hey Blue Line... With a company name like that, are you on "the job"?

I have a 02 F350. What size bulbs are in the tail lights and marker lights?

6. BlueLine Ent

No, not yet anyway. :gunsfiring:

I believe the size for your truck is the 3157 size.