1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Northwest NJ Magic Anti/de Icer

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Harold Finch, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Harold Finch

Harold Finch Member

Does anyone in northwest nj need info on magic salt, liquid or granular, proper use or pricing? I am a magic dealer and can help with questions or concerns. Thanks in advanced!

2. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

3. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

Send me your contact info.. I lost my last source for magic

We are in Stroudsburg Pa

kcapxis@ptd.net

4. Yamaha0219

Yamaha0219 Junior Member

How far north are you?

5. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Harold, get your posts up so you can send me a PM. I am always looking for new dealers, especially day of storm loading in an emergency. Sierra

6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Guys-

Harold is my dealer. Great service, resonable pricing. He's longer time member here than his name indicates, he changed over from a previous one. Harold is very knowledgeable, don't be shy asking questions.........

Ed

7. Harold Finch

Harold Finch Member

Thank You Ed.

Yamaha0219.. Near delaware water gap off of rt 80.

Sierra.. We can load you with granular product day of storm, during storm or after,

8. shovelracer

I'll call when I get some time later.

9. Harold Finch

Harold Finch Member

10. Harold Finch

Harold Finch Member

Thanks for purchase

Thanks for using the product shovelracer.. I am confident you will see the benifits, better effectivness at colder temps, environmentally friendlier, non corrosive, use less=save money, pleased customers, etc. Talk to you soon.

11. shovelracer

You got it. Ran a test patch last night. the test area was still wet this morning, the area I hit with about 30% more rock salt melted some but was locked up again this morning. Not sure how cold it got last night, but I see a difference. Now to see if the extra cost actually pays off with increased efficiency in the big picture.

12. shovelracer

Harold,

We ran the full load today. In the end we wound up applying at about 600-700/acre in the early morning, and closer to half of that once the sun came out. We used our average amount in the end. However, upon final inspection I noticed that the pavement was considerably cleaner. This means we wont have to reapply in the morning to get rid of refreeze. I'm happy about that.

What i did notice is that it does not flow as smooth out of the box, almost like clumps were falling onto the spinner. Also we were not able to get it to flow out of our sidewalk spreader.

I let the building super of a school we do know we were trying it out. He is going to get back to me on his opinion, and whether there are any increased or decreased issues with the kids tracking it into the building.

I'll post my final thoughts in a few days.

Thanks

13. Harold Finch

Harold Finch Member

Magic usage

Hey Rob,

We were able to use about half our average rate on this storm due to very good sun early in the day and temps hitting close to 32 by afternoon. You went heavier than you had too. Your rate per acre is directly dependent on how much "hardpack" you leave behind after plowing. x amount of de-icer melts x amount of ice, less left from plowing less de-icer used.

Magic is much thicker and stickier than straight bulk rock salt. This reduces "bounce and scatter", tacks the product to the pavement so wind and cars dont blow it away, and helps you keep it where you want it doing its job. You didnt mention to me you were doing sidewalks.. it will not spread out of a cheap grass seed spreader or similar salter hand spreader.. all of my crews run 5 gal buckets and spread evenly with coffee cans. Your reduction in cost of product will still save you money with the bit of added labor involved in spreading by hand, well worth a try next time.

Keep me posted and ill keep feeding you all the tricks and info.

Thanks,
    Harold

14. Yamaha0219

Yamaha0219 Junior Member

My 2 cents on the product and our experiences.

We started using Magic last year, mixed it ourselves...quickly found out that our salt was too wet to absorb the product properly and had our hoppers freeze.

This year we got nailed with that 30+ inches so our hoppers were loaded for several days before the product was released with ZERO freezing, being able to leave the product in our hoppers like that is a huge selling point right there.

We use the product for pre and post salting and couldn't be happier with it.

About the sidewalks.... we purchased two pallets of bagged triple treat rock salt...the bags were dripping wet of product, it reminded me of using Magic except the brine used was blue. Anyway, we put it in one of our Lesco spreaders and it wouldn't spread, right then and there we used those pallets up as quickly as possible by hand spreading and went back to our normal product.

I used the Magic a couple times during the last month because I ran out of bagged on a truck but had some Magic Salt on hand. Just loaded up the kitty litter bucket and treated the sidewalks with it, worked as expected, but I'm in no hurry to try and put it through a spreader.

15. shovelracer

Harold, I had a feeling it would not run through the spreader, but had to try it out anyways. You got to give me more credit though, it was not some box store junk, it was a designated spreader designed for rock salt. The holes are as large as tennis balls, but it just bridged it though. We switched our rate once it stopped snowing. Probably only put out 500lb extra in that time.

16. Harold Finch

Harold Finch Member

?

"We switched our rate once it stopped snowing" PM me Rob and explain what you were doing and what that means.

Top halves with handles of laundry detergent bottles work well too.

17. Harold Finch

Harold Finch Member

Magic Products For Sale at unbeatable prices!

Please PM me for price quotes on Magic -O and Magic salt. We can provide anit-icing pre-treatment liquid applications, you can pick up anti-icing bulk magic-o(our pump is metered), we can deliver granular magic de-icing material or you can pick up. Thanks in advanced!

HF
    Countryside Supply LLC

18. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Harold, is your product the same as Mr. Magic?

19. Harold Finch

Harold Finch Member

V-scapes,

I am not familiar with a product "mr. magic". Please go to www.magicsalt.info and let me know. I can help you with any questions/concerns and offer very good prices. Thanks

20. Harold Finch

Harold Finch Member

Current MAGIC products, sale pricing enclosed

Countryside landscape and nursery supply llc has a sale going on for select magic products. Please find the items and sale rates listed below..

1) Magic-0 $4.10/gallon picked up from our location, our pump is metered (larger volume discounts available)
    2) Come to our location and fill up your buckets for only 10 cents per pound! (we have a scale on site)
    3) Bulk magic salt (treated at or above 8 gallons/ton) picked up $155/ton (delivery available from 2-30 tons, quoted seperatly)

Countrysidesupply@hotmail.com
    Blairstown, NJ 07825