1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Northwest Arkansas??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CyberJay, Jan 4, 2006.

1. CyberJay

CyberJay Junior Member

Well.. due to circumstances in my life it looks like I will be moving to the Fayetteville area sometime this coming year. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my plow and thought I'd post and see if anyone is in that area or could offer ideas...

I've been plowing for a few years now, and I've always assumed I was going to continue to plow for a long time to come. I live in NJ, we get a fair amount of snow and everything is scraped to blacktop immediately. There's also a lot of guys with plows, I'd say 30-40% of 4x4 superduties around here have plow mounts on them.

The Fayetteville area only gets about 6-8 inches of snow per year. Which sounds to me like one or two plowable events. Last time I was down there(family in the area) I only saw two or three trucks with plow mounts, and I was looking for them.

My plow is a 12 month old Boss Super Duty 8'6" straight blade in excellent condition. It has normal wear on it, no bad dings/dents/scratches etc. The plow is paid for, so if I kept it, I wouldn't really loose money. I figure I can get $2000 out of the entire setup if I sell it? Just guessing though.

What to do? That plow is way overkill for the snow they would get in Arkansas.. But it's paid for and on my truck. You guys in VA/MD and other areas that don't get much snow... Do you have trouble getting work? Are people not used to plows? I assume contracts are out the window in that setting. I can't figure out if everyone just drives on it, or if the 6 guys in town who have plows have to push the whole thing when there's a 4-6" storm(which MIGHT happen once a year)..

Ok, thanks for reading.. appreciate any ideas.

2. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

Here in Ky. we are said to get something like 14-20" per year. Many of the landscape/lawn care guys have plows on their trucks and just a few others beyond that. Contracts are usually heald within the lawn care contracts for businesses. Many businesses don't hold con tracts and hire on the spot when snow comes up. I've never heard of a residential contract but I'm sure they are had somewhere. I was thinking of making up flyers which could be returned to me with some info as sort of a Jr. contract and allowing the rest of the people to call me. We'll see on that.

Anyhow, if you keep your plow, when the snow comes, you'll have more business than you can hope to handle until it melts off. You won't make as much money, but you still should make some.

Also consider this, the south gets more ice storms than other areas so salting will often be important. -Phillip