1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

northman pneumatic plow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Bobby Blaze, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Bobby Blaze

Bobby Blaze Member

2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

not me. I wouldn't want to listen to that stuipid compressor going all night long. I do think its kind of cool how you can change the attack angle of the plow though.

3. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

I cannot believe a plow maker would actually market that. The salt here in the northeast would kill the seala on those air cylinders and the side loading of the air cylinders would have them leaking within a month of use. Pushing the blade from the top ? and how the heck does it trip. Air compresses so the angle would not hold when you went into a pile, that set up will never work.

4. rustyb265

rustyb265 Member
    from Mass

If you pushed up into a pile with that thing......I can hear air lines snapping.....air intake getting plugged....what a piece of crap!

5. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

I could see someone changing the atack angle and riping the thing off there truck that is the bigest piece of garbage I have seen hooks on to the jeep in the pic by a one reese hitch. That would not last one hour up here plowing.

6. heavyiron

heavyiron Member

Hmm. A while back we tried to run pneumatic cylinders off the truck compressors on our highway plows. Big problem...condensation freezes. Unless you have a super good dessicant you could have trouble.

7. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Annoyingly loud, too small, looks like it would break in about 5 minutes and probably just as pricey as a proven setup......NO thanks!!!

8. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Might be ok for a homeowner doing one driveway with a light to moderate (4-6" and fluffy) snowfall...but given the torqueing and all around "beating" a regular plow takes during any plowing event,I would surmise that plow would be useless...

9. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Are those maybe 4" air cylinders at 90 psi that would be about 1150 lbs of force VS a 1.5" hydraulic cylinder at 1500 psi being about 3300 lbs of force. A standard plow has almost times the power to hold angle.

10. KATTRANSPORT

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

Looks like something they built on monster garage

11. Stesch_s10

Stesch_s10 Junior Member

I used to work for northman and used to build these lightweights and at first I thought what the hell is this going to push, its going to snap, its going to freeze bla bla bla just like you guys were doing. but after its all put together it works GREAT. here is a video of it working. AND OF COURSE its not going to put 2 feet of snow because its not made for that. its for smaller jobs. check it out and give it another thought after watching the video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vwY4MhxPPX8

12. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Well now I think it is even worse, it is bending down or " tripping" with light weight snow on it. That spills it to the side and at the end of the push the bottom just kicks back so you cannot even stack with it. Congrats for making the snowbear look like a professional plow, and we know why there is no sound with the video.

13. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i don't think i would put that thing behind my quad to plow, the plow takes forever to lift up and angle, and once you hit a curb or anything it would snap like a tooth pick, id stick with trusty hydraulics;)

14. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

hope you have alot of room to push snow since you cant stack with it

15. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

WOW you guy are harsh! It does need to react quicker, lift higher, and not trip so easy. The plus of air is if a seal leaks who cares, it's just air not fluid that you have to replace. Air is more forgiving than fluid, your less likely to blow a line. This plow may have it's place, but that's not on my truck. Ha ha

16. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Air systems are more prone to freeze ups.

The rams will not beabel to hold there position as air is compressible.

I would like to see it run in sub 0 temps expressly after sitting all night.

lol, You don't have to change the attack angel ,it's so flimsy it changes it on it's own as you can see this in the vid..

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  18. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Sno Farmer, all to true, and I was thinking of the freeze up too. But I don't think anyone is going to run a business with one.

19. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

Two words, slow and weak!

20. Stesch_s10

Stesch_s10 Junior Member

i agree with some and disagree with some. yea it definately needs some work but if you were to mount it on your four wheeler and do some sidewalks with then no problem. but i wouldn't recommend it for the business person to do parking lots or streets or huge areas. a little more work on it and maybe it could do the bigger things. but for now its a faster snow shovel.