1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

northman plows??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nboeger4, Apr 26, 2010.

1. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

so i found a used northman plow on my local craigslist for a cheap price. it also comes with the mounts that will fit my truck. sounds like the guy has put a bunch of new parts and time into the plow so it should be ready to go. he was also going to throw in a 300lb spreader which doesnt do me much good. but i would put it to work somehow. anyways i dont know much about northman. does anyone have any positive or negative thoughts? im going to try to go look at this plow this week. i tried using google but didnt find much. Thanks
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

the only thing i can say is to check for parts availability they were sold and were going to change the plows .
  3. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

what do you mean they were sold? like northern sold to another company?
  4. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

To the best of my knowledge, Northman is out of business. One of their distributors purchased all of their inventory last year. I would suggest you contact:

Lampert Hitch
    3927 W 38th Ave
    Denver, CO 80212
    John Lampert or Nick Benallo

They were one of Northman's largest distributors (actually I think the largest). I think that they have lots of parts on hand to service you if you buy the plow. It's a toll free call so you got nothing to lose by calling them.
  5. gib

gib Junior Member
    from omaha

It was the first plow I ever had---and the best plow. I had an 8 footer that was very heavy and worked great. The motor and hydraulics were under the hood. It could be a little messy unhooking the hoses, but even it the coldest whether it ran fast. It was a lot more "wobbly" than my western. In the 6 years I had the only issue was a few cutting edges
  6. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

alright. ill try calling that number tomorrow. the only problem i see is if i cant get parts locally during a storm. but i was suppose to go look at it tomorrow but didnt have time. im hoping to try to make it over there tomorrow.
  7. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Heh, same here. In fact I sold it to a guy that subs for me now and it is still in use. I was able to service my Northman with Western and Boss parts. In the 12 years that the plow has been operating I replaced two Hydro couples, 2 hoses, 1 Solenoid, 1 Relay and I took the motor to a local electronics shop and had the brushes cleaned and new connections put on it. When I had to put a new cut edge, I found a Boss edge with the same bolt pattern. My point is, they are decent plows and I was able to service it. But yes, Northman has been sold and I don't think they are producing any more, just selling off the remaining stock.