1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Northman Plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by aspenplow, Dec 17, 2005.

1. aspenplow

aspenplow Member

Hello all!
    I'm new to commercial plowing so bare with me. Anyone out there using a Northman Plow? I currently have feet on it and have been using the steel bar. I'm seeing a lot of rubber ice bars, are these better? Any kind of tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated!! Thx and Happy Holidays! Ray
  2. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

My friend used to have one, I wasn't sure if it was a Northman or Norseman. Is yours blue? Welcome to Plowsite.

3. aspenplow

aspenplow Member

Thx for the reply. Yes its blue
  4. remark 123

remark 123 Junior Member

Northman Plows

Just thought that I would let you know my experience with the Northman Plow. fine design, crappy follow through. I bet that in 3 years of plowing, I must have rebuilt every one of those undersized cylinders at least 5-6 times. I finally went to the local hydraulic shop and had them find me 3 new INDUSTRIAL cylinders that were oversized, rather than undersized. I haven't rebuit a cylinder in 15 years as a result. Truck is 3/4 front axle '79 Chevy 1500, 350 non smog. We use it to plow out the cottage at Hubbard Lake, in the middle of the snow belt in northern lower Michigan. We have a 2.5 mile long road into the place that no one ever uses in the winter, except my family. Truck does just fine, even with up to 4 foot of snow. It usually takes 3 passes to clear the whole road. Northman Plow was a big innovation back in '79, flat front, drive in, etc.