1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Northman Plow with issues

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by MK97, Oct 9, 2013.

1. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Recently picked up another truck that already had a plow setup on it. It's a 7.6 Northman setup, hydraulic not cable. I have done a lot of searching and seems they are good plows, just not much in the way of support.

When looking everything over the plow wasn't responding, but did get it to turn to the left once. So far the only time it worked, owner claimed it worked up until recently.

Noticed it was leaking at the canister and replaced the o-ring to reseal everything. Voltage was low on the solenoid so replaced it. Have a much stronger click, but no movement.

I have put power directly to the motor and nothing, so this leads me to believe that the motor is bad. I am waiting for the replacement to show up, but wanted to check and see if there are any other troubleshooting tips I may have missed.

There is only one guy that I found that knows hydraulics (I know mechanical but not hydraulic), but would like to avoid paying $100 to be told it's a motor. Granted I will have him come out if it isn't working in the next week.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So its an electric solenoid type? I don't know the plow but if its like a typical one im sure there's ways to figure it out

3. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Aye it's an electric solenoid. Just a standard style. Pretty sure it is the motor, but will know when the replacement shows up.

4. dieselss

Well. Just for grins. Did you ck for pwr and gnd at the motor while operating the controller?

5. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm pretty sure I did while I had the multi out testing the solenoid. May do it again today to be positive.

6. dieselss

Ok. Never hurts to double ck. And test don't guess.

7. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree. Not one to throw parts at something and hope it works.

8. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Well the new motor showed up ahead of time...and of course they sent me a 3" for a 4.5" motor setup. Ugh, back to ordering from someone else. Bad enough trying to locate someone who sells them. 3" seems to be universal.

9. ABDIRT

ABDIRT Junior Member

MK97, I know Lampart Hitch in Denver can still get the parts you need for your Northman plow. It's a drive down there but they are the best bet. Hope this helps. Allen

Lampart Hitch
    3927 W 38th Ave, Denver, CO 80212
    (303) 433-8746

10. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

I got a couple parts from them later on. I try to avoid it since their cost reflects just how proud they are of these parts.