1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Northern Manitoba Roads

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by JoeCool, Nov 11, 2009.

1. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

I came across some old pictures from my days driving my truck to remote towns with freight. These ones were after a recent snow and freshly plowed. Was a good trip. In the 4-hour one way stretch you may only meet a couple vehicles, often none...

Gillam road.jpg

Gillam road 2.jpg

Gillam road 3.jpg

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

The orginal ice road trucker right there. Looks like a good time.

3. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

That is an all weather road actually. Runs to a town that exists to service a group of Hydro Electric Dams. Here is a couple of Ice Roads though. This pressure ridge was closed to loaded traffic and we only used it on our way out empty, saved a few hours of rough roads the other exit.

pressure ridge 5.jpg

pressure ridge 3.jpg

pressure ridge.jpg

4. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

This bush road was a favorite for me. 10-11 hours of road, then 4-8 hours of bush each way. The second shows the ice at my step looking down as I cross the one scary stretch of fast flowing river ice before entering the bush for an 6-10 hour run each way.

Cross Lake road.jpg

Bloodvein.jpg

5. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

Great shots, that's some serious driving! Would you travel alone or did you have any other trucks traveling with you?

- Dan

6. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

We tried to run a few together if we could, then you could pool talent and tools if there was a problem. My favorite route in the one pic I quite often ran alone, you might catch up to someone. 36 hour ringer (crisp and cold makes for good road). In this one you can see my travelling partner. We are running maybe 20 mph and almost at the ice crossing to begin the 10 hr. return on the gravel then pavement back for another load.

Cross Lake.jpg

7. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Very cool pictures thanks for sharing!

8. FEFMedia

FEFMedia Senior Member

nice pictures.. thanks for posting!

9. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

see that you have a rush hour problem too. Thanks for sharing

10. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

N.F.W. = No F#*!%^# Way!!!!! You can have that driving.

11. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

I don't think I could ever get use to the idea of traveling out there alone or not seeing anyone for hours on end!

- Dan

12. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

Figured I was 'special' lol. I was just a 30 year-old doing it for a few short years. Many guys did (do) that for a full career. Very knowledgeable and helpful. I still deal with some of them 15 years later in my decal work. Maybe I am 'special'. As for the alone part, it was a bit unnerving when I started but once I was in and back a couple times you just roll with it and enjoy the peace. Even the 'road loads' are low traffic. Longer runs are 12-14 hrs from end to end and the further out from the south the less traffic... less everything, except trees, lol.

13. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

http://boards.history.com/topic/Ice-Road-Truckers/Winter-Roads/520044201
    I just was searching to see if I could find some other pictures on GOOGLE that would show the roads. I came across this blog. When I watch Ice Road Truckers I kept thinking the same thing as the guy from Gimli says. That the roads on the show look pretty tame, pretty closely monitored and not nearly as technical. Good to hear someone else say it, lol. I will be at a buddy's place this weekend and see if I can borrow some of his pictures and scan them. All I have left is a few from crashes in the bush and they are kinda lame.

14. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

cool pics too bad you dont have anymore.

15. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Nice pics, thanks for sharing them.

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ditto, awesome.

Ever see any UFO's? :laughing::laughing:

17. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

Better question would be be Sasquatch or Yeti... But what I have seen in the sky is the Northern Lights in extremely clear and full colour. Even a few hundred miles south, at home, they are not the same.

18. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

I have a few more pictures, just scanning them all in for my own collection and will post a few that might be of interest. This one is pretty narrow and gets very limited traffic.

8.jpg

19. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

Bare ice freezes down good and safe, heavy snow works the opposite.

1.jpg

6.jpg

20. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

Cat trains, with tires and with skis. Trucks bring the fuel to the nearest point and cats take it to the towers for supplying the generators. The year on the pictures is wrong. I decalled those trucks a couple years ago.

cat train.jpg

cat train 2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009