1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Northeast snowfall cycles.

Discussion in 'Weather' started by lawn king, Jan 27, 2012.

1. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I have been plowing close to 20 years. I am now of the opinion that we get a 3 year cycle here. Two consecutive years of decent snow, followed by a warmer, low snow winter on the third year?

2. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

I'm with you on that.

3. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

my area its been five year cycles

4. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

who do you think you are ? al gore ?:laughing:

5. doyles

doyles Member

your right i think next winter will be a bad one

6. SNOWANDICEMAN

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

Cant be any worse than this winter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

When I started I thought 5 year cycles, does seem like 3-4 year cycles now...

8. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

North Atlantic oscillation is the phrase I keep hearing.

9. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

I agree with you on the three year cycle this is what i try to explain to alot of people, I to have been at it for 20 yrs

10. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Lets face it, this season was a bust! Even if we pick up a serious storm or two now, the ground is so warm the snow will meld down fast and kill any chance of removal and/or site relocation! You just have to trudge on and set your focus on next winter! When we get hammered next winter and clients start to gripe, you be sure to remind them they spent nothing this season. If my 3 year cycle theory is accurate, 2012 should be good, 2013 should be very good followed by a slow year in 2014, we shall see?

11. SNOWANDICEMAN

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

Lawn King you are in the wrong business you should be a weather man.

12. Oshkosh

13. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Did you notice that a mild snow year in 1994 total was 14.9. That was followed by the biggest total on record of 107.6 inches. It's just crazy how much thing can change from one year to the next.

14. Oshkosh

It is crazy, still feels like a short cycle .
    Been happening for a long, long time..
    The least amount of snow record goes all the way back to 1936/37 for this area..

15. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Last year we had one of the snowiest on record (top 10), with at least on month at the top for that month ever. Year before was above average as well. This year we are way down from average, that's why it's called an average though.

16. novasnowplower

novasnowplower Member

Well i cant remember when this late in the season DC area hasnt had some type of winter event. So far we are in a winter drought