1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Northeast snow?

Discussion in 'Weather' started by lawn king, Sep 21, 2009.

1. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Im wondering if we will get substantial snow this winter? I have worked in the green industry for over 3 decades, so im kinda in tune with nature, sort of speak. In seasons past that we had lots of spring/summer rainfall, we seem to get light snowfall winters. The past 2 winters here have been pretty good for us revenue wise, im hoping this season will be half decent.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

For you guys its hit and miss. Always plan for a lite winter and if you do better then expected keep the money as a bonus and don't put it in your budget next year.

3. lawn king

Good advise & words to live by grandview. I constantly tell new guys in the industry, if you are counting on snow to make it, you are gonna burn!

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I want to join the club. Where do I sign up LOL.

5. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

SNOW...............What the heck is that?

6. TurbDies2500

TurbDies2500 Senior Member

Yeah I heard that the northeast is expected to get below average snowfall this winter. I guess only time will tell.

7. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

where did u hear that?

8. santaclause

santaclause Member

I heard Ne coldest winter in a decade dont know about snow fall amounts

9. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Here is what some are predicting this winter.
    2010_us_wintermap.jpg
    snowfall-map-1024x768.jpg
    temp-map-1024x767.jpg

2010_us_wintermap.jpg

snowfall-map-1024x768.jpg

temp-map-1024x767.jpg

10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

the squirrels are huge, the acorns are so thick on the ground you have to watch your step, my gut says its gonna be a crazy winter and so does the local weather guy; but i'll go by the size of the squirrels before listen to weather guys.

11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Same here! Those stupid acorns are dangerous mowing, I stepped on some last week and about went ars over tin cups! A lady told me when there are berry's on evergreen shrubs its going to be a bad winter. 2 years ago there were no berries while we were pruning shrubs, the winter was average, last year there were a ton of red berries on the evergreen shrubs and we had the second snowiest winter in our city (150+ inches). This year there are a ton of berries again on the shrubs.....we'll see.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Apples hanging on the trees are also suppossed to be good indicators. Two years ago the trees were full. Started snowing Dec 3 and snowed twice a week till New Years. Busiest winter in years.

13. rawdog

rawdog Senior Member
    from Cape MA

check out stowe.com...they already got some up there...killington too

14. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

The El Nino effect is already kicking in. If El Nino stays strong then there should be plenty of snow for the North East. El Nino helps the Sub Tropical Jet stream become active. Storm follow it across the southern half of the US to the East coast where they usually turn north to become Nor easters. The southern half of the US has already turned stormy where it was mired in a drought

15. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

I mow the owners house of one the largest orchards in CT and he was telling me last week that the trees are so loaded that they have been shaking the trees & pulling un-ripe fruit off just so the trees dont topple or the branches dont break.

16. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

17. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

I just hope it's at least like last year...

18. lawn king

Last year was ok, we would be happy with a repeat!

19. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

5 - 10" would be great for us down here!!!!

20. Diemaker

Diemaker Junior Member

Last year was the 2nd most snow ever here. I think this year will be below average or average at best.