1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Northeast: Hope it was safe & profitable

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gpin, Jan 28, 2004.

1. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Hope everyone who got snow had a safe and profitable day. I saw a few cowboys out there in the Philadelphia/Montgomery County area but most people were being careful. I was pulled over on the side of the road using the phone and 2 other plow trucks stopped to see if I needed help. Thanks!
  2. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

We didn't get anything here in Maine, But I guess the lower part of Maine got a little but not much.

Maybe next week we will get something :D
  3. affprop

affprop Junior Member

Get Snow?

Plowman I am right before the NH border and most of my accounts are in NH and I didnt get anything.
  4. SnoFoilFisher21

SnoFoilFisher21 Member

we got TONS of snow here....upwards of around a foot!! started around 9 and was plowable by 1130....it was a fun night and im still not done:D :drinkup:
  5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

glad you got some on LI we got nothing o sorry maybe an inch:angry: They said upwards of a foot here and i woke up and we got nothing. Hope everyone who got a chance to plow some REAL SNOW had a safe and profitable day. I have to go clear my drive before it freezes one two passes down 150' should do it for this storm:angry:
  6. roblandscape

roblandscape Senior Member
    from Phila

gpin where are you at in Montgomery Co.? I live in Willow Grove,
    Anyway it was a good day, I'll take two storms every week for the rest of the winter!!!!!!!!!!payup payup
  7. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

1/27 storm

I can summarize this storm in one word; DUD!:( Original forecast, 7-14", actual accumulation 4". Barely enough to hit the trigger.
    This season reminds me of the winter before last. Snow to the North, to the South, to the East and to the West but nothing here! I guess we all got a little spoiled last winter.payup
  8. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

We got a double dose. I don't actually know the snowfall total for Monday, but yesterday's forecast was 2-4" and we got almost 6" First time I ever saw the weatherman be wrong in favor of me:D All's that I know is that I put in almost 50 hours of plowing in the last 2 1/2 days. (I work for a municapality so, that's where I get so many hours) but there was still some personal plowing time in there. I wish snow for everyone, good luck!!!
  9. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

We got about 1/2" of ice Sunday night, it was cold, windy, sleeting, raining, and snowed just enough to make it even slicker.

I spent the night salting, sliding sideways on flat lots, chasing salt bags, and dusting off my rear end.

The next day it warmed up to near 50 degrees and everything disapeared.

It started snowing Tuesday evening, we only got a dusting at first, so we started salting, then the snow picked up and we switched to plowing.

We ended up with 2" to 3" inches of good plowing snow.

Probably going to get more Thursday night and Friday, so it's been a pretty good week.

We're still waiting for a real snow.
  10. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS..............Syracuse NY and the especially the northern
    areas have been gettin clobbered DAILY since the 15th !

The last few days a foot daily ! Last Fri./Sat. got over 3 ft.!

Expecting another foot daily according to the weather guessers
    untill Sunday!

GOODY-GOODY !!!!! Haven't seen Bill, Joe, Al and the rest of
    the Central NY guys posting...So I know they are busy........

The payloader is outside moving back all the stacks of "white gold" as I type.......Good thing the bank next door is paying !

Be safe all...................geopayup :drinkup:
  11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

12" inches here in fairfield county ct payup :D
  12. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Hey guys just for my general knowledge I just do residential and how much snow do you let accumulate before you go out and drop the plow? Also do you clear close to the mail box and always salt after you plow? Thanks!
  13. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I woke up at 5:45 am and found 1'+ of powder snow... oops. I usually go every 6"

This time I was going to sleep in since most of my customers do not need to get out early, and for some reason I didn't think there was going to be much snow :eek:

I run out of room to put the snow. Jeep did fine though

14. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

Here in Northern/central Jersey, we got about 6 - 9" I would say.
    I went out right after the big snow passed, right about 3 am. Put in about 11 hours. So it was a good night/daypayup . Let me tell you I slept like a baby last night:sleeping: .
  15. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc Member

No snow here.Starting to get really bored here in Maine. Season started with a bang in December. Good thing for contracts. We can't even snowmobile yet.:gunsfiring:
  16. SWC

SWC Senior Member
    from VA

It's best to work out the details with each customer, some will want it plowed when theirs an inch or more, others don't want you to plow unless theirs a lot of snow. If it's just a skip, or ice they might want you to just put down salt.

The steeper the drive the more likely they'll need salt.

You should clear their mail box so they and the mail man can get to it easily, you can offer to do side walks and brush the snow off of the mail/paper box.

It's best to salt after plowing, that's the easiest way to get a good clean driveway, make sure you've got everything cleared before you salt.

Just back up into the drive and turn on the spreader, or hand salt it if you don't have a spreader.
  17. affprop

affprop Junior Member

Where are you at in So. Maine. I am in Lebanon and do most of my work in Sanford Me. and Rochester NH. Plowing and Sanding has sucked hasnt it? I own a place inColebrook NH, and have spent most of my winter up there snowmobiling.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

ill take these little storms all winter
    easy to plow
    no stress on the equipment
  19. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

it was awsome give me more:D
  20. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Wow, I didn't think plowers did that much. :confused: I was under the impression that those who plowed basically stayed in their trucks, kids with shovels, or homeowners do the rest (walkways, etc).

-John :cool: