1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

North of the border

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by griaguns, Nov 22, 2006.

1. griaguns

griaguns Junior Member

Hello all.I am new again to the industry as I havnt pushed snow for about 20 years having moved from Ontario to Vancouver Island B.C.20 years ago. Living on the wet coast things are a little different, the snow at sea level and up to about 2000ft sucks. heavy wet and sticky.I am once again in the position to go a plowin.My question is due to me having a Ford F250 4x4 with a 7' 5 ft (yes I prefer feet and inches) plow ,riding on 16" Nokia Hakkapellitas with studs (legal in B.C. ) what chains are prefered by you guys.Traction here is a big concern because as soon as you move the heavy wet stuff it freezes the water on the ground.So it is chains I am going to get which ones depends on you guys.Thanks.and great site.Graham
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I wouldn't put chains on studded tires. But for when I did have chains, these seemed the best:

They're not cheap, but they are good.
  3. Rowski

Rowski Senior Member

I run the same type of tires with studs. I do use chains but because of the studs not as often.

Bellow is a pic of the chains on our dually wrecker.

They are OFA chains http://www.ofachain.net/truck.

I made a set from dual triple chains (from dual wheels) for my single wheel Chevy.

I removed the cross links on one side and put them in between the original two cross links. Basically my tire on a single wheeled truck is always on a chain. Makes for a smoother tide and less spinning. Unfortunately I don't have picture of that setup.

truck chain.jpg