1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

North NJ 10"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NNJSnow, Apr 6, 2003.

1. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Issued at: 9:30 PM EDT 4/6/03, expires at: 6:00 AM EDT 4/7/03
    The national weather service is continuing the winter storm warning for Monday and Monday evening for six to twelve inches of snow, A winter storm warning remains in effect for Monday and Monday evening for the following counties in pennsylvania, carbon, lehigh, monroe and northampton. In new jersey morris, sussex and warren. Eight to twelve inches of snow is expected in carbon, monroe and sussex counties and six to eight inches of snow is expected in lehigh, northampton, warren and morris counties. The snow is expected to be heavy and wet and could tear down weak trees, tree limbs and power lines. Snow is expected to arrive around sunrise on Monday and become heavy at times from late morning through the afternoon. While the morning, especially the early part of it, commute may not be bad, the evening one is expected to be treacherous. The precipitation intensity is expected to be heavy enough that it will stick to roadways as temperatures will be close to freezing. The snow!
    should taper off and end during the evening. A winter storm warning is issued when severe winter weather is expected to occur. Heavy snow is forecast to accumulate in the affected areas causing hazardous driving conditions. Those with travel plans in the warning area are advised to choose an alternate route, or should use extreme caution if travel is unavoidable. Stay tuned to noaa weather radio, your local radio or television stations, or your cable television outlet for further details or updates. Additional weather information can be found on the internet at www.erh.noaa.gov/phi in small letters.
    This bulletin affects: Carbon PA, Lehigh PA, Monroe PA, Morris NJ, Northampton PA, Sussex NJ, Warren NJ,

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

My plow is now on. I think its too warm to stick to the paved surfaces, but we will wait and see. Whatever happens, were ready, right guys? :D Good luck guys and be safe out there. Mike

3. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Iam seriously thinking about loading my truck with a plow and going to NY tomorrow morning. My wifes uncle lives near Newburgh. He could get me a couple drives to do and I'm sure I could get some flag downs as well. One last hurrah for the season.

4. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Latest weather report courtesy of NBC 4 says that snow will develop in the area around 8-10am and be heaviest round 12-5pm snowing 1-2inches and hour with blizzard like conditions. These reports sure seem Promising. Areas under a Winter Weather Warning. I'm mounted and set to go for tomarrow.

5. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

we'll see. We put some of the plows on and the rest are ready to go just gotta hook em up. We just washed them all and put them all away Friday, go figure :rolleyes:

6. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

LOL, I just finish washing all my plows and storing them on Friday as well.

Chuck B.

7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Well NNJ, here's to hoping we get it good :drinkup:

IF you go to www.accuweather.com and check the hourly forecast, then total up them amounts per hour, it comes out to about 2.4" for Morris, ending about noon. After that, just freezing rain. I hope they are wrong. It would really suck to put all the plows on, move equipment on site, just to have it snow 2" with heavy rain and sleet on top of it at the end. :(

Gary Grey doesn't have this as a very bad storm either. It seems the NWS is the only one saying 5'+ for Morris.

~Chuck

8. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Well, it just started to flurry here.... The off camera weatherman on FOX came on camera and said he is so sure of his forecast, that he will let them shave his head into a mohawk on camera if he is wrong on this one. LOL.

~Chuck

9. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Started snowing around 10am here and now its coming down pretty good and just starting to accumulate on teh roads. About an inch n a half on walks and grass. Doesn't look like ill have to do any plowing right away but its susposed to snow into tonight so i could see maybe 5 + inches.

10. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I loaded the plow in the truck last night. Haven't left....YET. Still thinking about it. Wife says she doesn't care. Where her uncle lives they are supposed to get 8-10 in. I wonder how much will stick to the roads?

11. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

at approximately 1pm the snow has started to break out here in CT calling for 6 to 12 inches with locally higher amounts and near blizzard conditions with 1 to3 inch an hour rates at times

Good Luck

Be Safe

Have Fun

Spring should be here soon...............................I think..................oh wait it already is

Jay

12. Chuck Smith

from NJ

I posted this in another thread, but here it goes...

Just went outside with a tape measure. On the sidewalk, exactly 3" of heavy wet slop. On the parking lot, it's hard to say since there has been a lot of traffic, but I guess it has about 3" on it too. Barely snowing now, looks like a break in the clouds on the radar. All the weatherguessers are still saying the original 6"+ and talking about it snowing until midnight. It sure doesn't look that way on the radar.

~Chuck

(Edit)

Updated as of 04:29 PM EDT April 07, 2003 for Parsippany, NJ in the 07054 ZIP code.

Important Message
    Winter weather advisory for tonight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tonight
    Freezing drizzle or snow likely early this evening...then freezing drizzle likely overnight. No snow accumulation. Lows in the upper 20s. Northeast winds 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2003
  13. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Why is it that the guys that that aren't

Meteorologist can read the friggin rader better than those who are meteorologists?

In my next life I wanna be a an on camera weatherman for a big city TV station.... Lotsa money, celebrity, good clothes, and no accountability at all.

Hey Chuck, is there anyway to record when that TV weather man gets his mohawk? I would love to see it posted here.
    :D :nod: :nod:

14. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Well I'll have to share my snow plower's nightmare that many of us have had at one time or another, or worried about. I went to a wedding in California this weekend, Friday AM til Monday PM. Checked weather on Thursday, cold weekend for April but still lows in the upper 30's. Monday's forecast was for heavy rain, low's in the 40's. OK I'm not going to leave any emergency snow plans for my employee, and I'm certainly not going to break out snow equipment to leave ready with a forecast like that. Go to the wedding & other events, have a great weekend. Arrive at hotel room 8:30 PM Cali time Sunday night & see a voice mail on my cell phone. Check message - Mother in law wants to know what school closing procedures are because they have my kids for the weekend and there's 3"-6" of snow coming Monday. WHAT???!!! Ok finally get breath back, find heart beat, try to think clearly - maybe that's a forecast she saw on the NYC TV stations, and they were talking about that area which is much further north, or even the area where she lives is further north & usually colder than my area, maybe she's going to get 3" on the grass at her house. So I call the hotel desk to find out if the have internet access available & they direct me to local Kinkos. I go there to check weather at home while my wife packs & calls LAX to see what we can do.

First guy tells her we can buy tickets on a 12:30 AM PST flight for $1,200.00 each. Ouch!! Check weather at Kinko's- it's on!! But it's now 12:30 AM at home now so I don't want to start calling potential subs & my employees, because they might tell me no just for waking them LOL. Call airline again find out we can go there & go on stand by for first available flight but won't cost extra- that's better LOL. Get a 1:40 AM PST leaving to Memphis to connect to a Newark flight. Get to Memphis & find out our flight to Newark is cancelled.

Called my full time employee to tell him his list of work for today is changed now (he didn't see the forecast & didn't know it was going to snow LOL). Explain the easiest way to unbury the snow equipment (got some construction going on & you can't drive to the back yard where we park it like usual). Tell him to get a piece of paper so I can tell him all of the accounts & what to do because the Snow Response Plan books and route sheets etc. are locked in my house LOL. So much for making those, when I finally really needed them, they weren't available. He has worked for me in the past, as a sub for another company, but did not plow during this winter, so he didn't know this year's entire route.
    This was around 8:00 AM EST. Sub\friend who knew I was away called about then to offer any needed help, so I set him up to do the first if needed salt run, and to find my employee to see what he might need etc.

Airline wanted to put us on a flight to Laguardia, then bus everyone to Newark airport. I know better than that with the supposed big snow storm hitting. Brain storm!- Philly may be below the rain\snow line, lets try to get there then rent a car to get home. So we barely catch the next flight to Philadelphia, but the luggage may be goiing to Newark, but nobody is sure. We get to Philly at 12:30 PM EST and its snowing there. While waiting to get off the plane, the guy who plowed with me all year calls & asks what I'm doing. He didn't believe me when I told him I was sitting on a plane LOL. The key to the back hoe is locked in my house & the plow pump bracket is broken on pick up so it can only salt. So have to tell that employee to stand by until I get home & figure out what's going on. He says "I'll tell you waht's going on, its snowing like an expletive here! And the lots are covered already!" Thanks for the weather report. So we then hire a sedan to take us home sans luggage.

Ride up wasn't too bad & we got home by 3:30PM EST to 5" or so already. Lots had gotten a salt run & at least one push by then so things were actually going well. Fired up the back hoe (rented for big storm, but still have it for some other scheduled jobs) & by 5:00 PM I was pushing snow with it. So besides not having slept all weekend, and travelling all night, we did well and had everything black & wet by 1:30 AM & went to sleep by 2:00 AM. OK my employee gets all of the credit, he really kicked butt while I wasn't there, & things looked a whole lot better than I expected. He's a keeper! We got about 7" total.

And the best news was some guy in a little red pick up showed up at 7:30 AM with our luggage. Can't beat that LOL

:drinkup: payup

However I do have to say that once in a lifetime is plenty to experience that kind of panic & worry from 3,000 miles a way.

15. Chuck Smith

from NJ

BRL, now you have to get your wife to convince all her (and your) unmarried friends and family that they want to have a June wedding to stop this from happening again! LOL Sounds like a real ordeal. I was waiting for the kicker (but it never came) that they lost your luggage.

~Chuck

16. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

LOL Chuck. We were told that we'd have to drive up to the airport to get it, so it was a nice surprise to see some guy first thing in the morning announcing "I have your luggage!". NICE!!! I didn't care about the luggage. The option was there to take the flight to Laguardia & be with the luggage. My wife was a little more concerned about the luggage, but she also knew at that point that I didn't care about any luggage, just getting on a plane that would get me closer than Memphis. I didn't want to rent a car there & try that drive, then try to do whatever plowing might be left at that point. Already didn't get enough sleep over the weekend, and no sleep Sunday night.

17. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Wow BRL,what an ordeal. I bet that whole fiasco took 5 yrs off your life!! I was in the same situation last december,I had to go to BC canada,we got a storm when i was gone,I had the route covered and the trucks ready though. They still had trouble starting the engine on the salter(it ran fine when I left).I was on the phone about 6 hrs one night alone walking them through getting it running. On top of that ,dummy me didn't fill the tractor and it ran out of fuel,when they were loading the spreader,it wasn't even warmed up,so you have a cold diesel,out of fuel,and they have no idea how to get it bled out ,and ran the battery down. Thanks to my Bro Vinnie,he came over late at night,got the tractor bled out,and fired up. Thats one thing great about having a brother like you,he can do everything,which is almost everything exc use a PC.Well Vinnie saved the night,got everything going again,got the spreader running right too.If not for him I would have had to have my uncle salt my accounts,which would have taken even more time.My cell phone bill was 600 bucks that month,most of it spent that week i was in BC.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2003
  18. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

Man thats some story, glad everything worked out good. It's a good thing you have good employee's. If i knew I woulda tried to help you out, we're always busy but I'm sure we coulda figured something out.

We had a simiular situation this winter. The guy that I sub my trucks to and I went up to maine at the end of Febuary. While we where up there one of our guys called and told us it was gonna snow, then a few of our other guys called and siad the same thing. So when we got done skiing we drove all night, 12 hrs back to NJ, it started snowing when we got back so we hooked our plows up and went out plowing. Luckily we have some good guys that got all the rest of the trucks ready and did some pretreating.