1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Normal spread cost for driveways?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by shadow, Jan 23, 2008.

1. shadow

shadow Junior Member
    from iowa

I was shooting in the dark with my prices and advertised $30 for up to 4 car drive.(the people I called wanted to see the drive before quoting and we don't have a driveway) I give a discount for elderly and veterans. I got some calls where the people were quoted from $45 up to $130 for there drives. One old lady was quoted $185 for a 1 car drive. (25ft X 8ft) What is a normal spread for costs?? I am the lowest according to these callers (except for 1 that said his 1 car drive was about 60 ft long and a parking pad behind the house cost him $10 total) and was thinking of upping my charge a little to blend in with the rest but I don’t know what to bump it up to.

I did the calls as an over the phone agreement and 1st come 1st served bases. No contract and payment at time of service.

I only got a few jobs done and, stupid me, I had a neighbor in the court pay me to try to open the parking spot across from us for parking because the regular company doesn’t do it (about a 20ft long X 30ft wide spot) There was a lot of ice buildup from getting NO plowing done in the last 5 snow falls in the court and I bent the tab bad hitting a big hard spot. I tried heating it and bending it back but it broke off. I have been sitting since then. I will be getting a check this week and will weld up some repairs and be ready to go again and was wondering about how to charge.

Encase anyone is wondering, the manager will not hire me or let me plow in the court because he says he has a contract with a company and if I plow he still has to pay the company for it. If I charge people I can be evicted because soliciting is not allowed. I did some under the table jobs because people were getting stuck in the main drive and I had to tow them out with a chain. At one point I had a hard time driving through because it drifted to about 20” and cars were left all over stuck so I plowed a single path and people yelled at me for not plowing the rest of the court. On one hand I would have liked to but on the other hand I am not being paid and risk being evicted for doing it.

2. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I am unsure of what you mean by your use of the word "court" here. Court of law? Tennis court? Is court your area in an apartment complex?

When I was getting plowed out. my guy charged me $30 per push and $35 per spread. 400' driveway with 5-6 car parking capacity. Very reasonable...you'd be hard pressed to find professional plowers to do that kind of work for that kind of money (yes, he is a professional and yes, he is insured...it helps that he's my next door neighbor and that his driveway encroaches over my property line though).

I think the key thing for your pricing is to know what it costs you to apply sald/sand to a driveway of a certain size...you can base your pricing off that.

3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I think you are a little low with your pricing. My minimum is $40 for a residential and that would cover a standard drive. I charge an extra $5-10 for every additional garage stall and more for longer drives.

Two car wide and two deep is ~$40
    Four car wide and six long ~$60
    Basically it comes down to $10 per car spot with a $40 minimum. A drive that would hold 8 cars would be $80 and so on.
    Seems to be on par, my phone is ringing of the hook from referals payup

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Maybe court means trailer court :D

We only do ahand full of drives willnt touch one for under $30.00

It we get a big snow, we set the min charge to $50

5. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

These prices sound about right for me also.
    I turn down referrals constantly. Tried to weed some out this year, dropped 5 and gained 7, but the ones I dropped were hilly and tight, the ones I picked up are more open and flat with good pricing. Route gets tighter each year.payup
    I have 3 long ones (the long part doesn't bother me it is fun to use the V and have rooster tails on both sides) with 3 car garages and circle turnarounds one of the circles is very tight. They are happy to pay $120 up to 6 inches and then it is an additional $10 per inch for every inch over 6". So a foot of snow on this one = $180. Then again the difficult sleet / freezing rain storms we get that amount to 2 or 4 inches of hard pack I have been charging double and my customers are paying. I adjust the price as needed based on conditions. If my transmission keeps overheating then the price is going up on that storm. Sometimes if it is a very easy 1-2 inches plowed at night with no traffic delays then I slash my prices and give them the treat of a 40% discount.

6. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

[​IMG] you must rake in the payup per storm!

7. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

Like the vacuum in space.

[​IMG]

8. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

You? and the entire family?

9. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

DFLS - 2 things - one read the original post it says spread costs.. not plow cost.

second - you have customers happy to pay $120 - $180 per storm?? come on be real. Also paying double?? Who pays that?/? Who believes that???