1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Normal Elec Load F-250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Snowtraxx, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Snowtraxx

Snowtraxx Junior Member

Hoping somebody can clue me in on normal draw for the plow on my 1997 F-250HD. First gas job I have plowed with and am not sure how much an Elec. Minute Mount usually draws. Truck has a 351 with 95 A alternator. New 850cca battery with 150 res min. 8' fisher minute mount. Volt meter drops to battery voltage when using plow and lights dim out a bit. Is this normal or should I follow the lead of other posts about dual battery set-ups. I appreciate any info...Plowsite rules!
  2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know how much power your truck is drawing on average. A safe number may be about 50 to 60 amps. For light duty plowing, the current setup should suffice. If you plan on plowing moe than just a couple driveways, I would suggest first adding a second battery. Then, if you have the extra funds, upgrade to a higher output alternator.
  3. bgrover

bgrover Member

Can't answer the actual draw question but I know my '95 F250 460 cid with the 95A alternator would draw the battery down. All I was plowing was my 0.2 mile driveway and parking area at night. With the plow lights, wipers, heater running I would have to let the truck sit after plowing for several minutes to recharge the battery.

I installed a 200A alternator this fall to fix the issue. Alternator was about $260 plus $30 for a new top bracket to fit the engine.
  4. Plow Meister

I see what snowtrax is saying. I also have a 95 F-250 but I have the diesel engine. Although my truck does not draw any more power than a gas engine with the exception of the glow plugs and the initial startup, the only difference between my electric load and his is I have 2 batteries. My lights dim a bit but 2 seconds after I position the plow everything goes back to normal. I am sure just about everyone who plows has this same symptom.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

when im plowing a parking lot a night
    i run with parking lights only
    to conserve the charging system
    also have a strobe on the roof
  6. Snowtraxx

Snowtraxx Junior Member

Anyone have any good websites to buy a Bigger, Badder alternator...Thanks for all the input!
  7. Plow Meister

You could go to www.4wheelparts.com and look for the "Mean Green" alternator. You will pay out the butt for it but I believe it puts out a ton of amps.

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

don't bother you will be fine,95 amps is ok more is better ,years ago we plowed with 65/75 amp alternators and got by. if your worried then when your plowing in a well lit parking lot shut down the headlamps.
  9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Plows will draw between 150-200 amps when in use. In an area with a lot of angling or lifting, it wont take long to drain the battery. Either get another battery so you have a larger reserve, or a higher output alt. In the mid 100 range