1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Nor Easter

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ChucksChevyPages, Jan 24, 2000.

1. ChucksChevyPages

ChucksChevyPages Guest

Well, just watched the weather. Looks like we are going to have a shot at getting the most snow from 1 storm in years. It seems the storm is hugging the coast more, which means more snow inland. This afternoon, when it was staying off the coast, the forecast was for 1 - 3&quot; in my area. Now, the forecast is for 4 - 8&quot;. Honestly, I hope we get DUMPED ON. A plowin I will go, a plowin I will go.....<p>~Chuck<p>----------<br>Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages - Snowplowing Central<br>http://members.aol.com/csmith669/plowcentral.html

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

One persons misery(mine) is anothers joy(chucks andJohn Parker maybe even Phil and Justin, even young brian might get to use his snow blowers)<br>The westerly track means snow to rain for me and my forcast went from 6-12 to 2-4 with rain. Sucks to be me, John I will call you when it switches over.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

They are saying 6+ right now up in Maine. Only the weather guys are still not sure of the storm's track. And there maybe be another storm wed night into thursdasy. Only the weather guys are saying yes one day and no the next.<p>Geoff

4. jeffclc

jeffclc Guest

Looks like it is going to miss me (Pittsburgh). It is coming pretty close, and hopefully it will come inland just a hair. We are only to get an inch, maybe 2 max.

5. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

Well, here in New Haven its snowing sideways, finally. 9:00am and at least a couple of inches on the ground with a pretty good wind. Good luck Dino - maybe some Squeegees might be in order!<p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider

6. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

no snow yet but forcast for 3-6 starting afternoon though morning

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Here it is 10 am in central CT and theres maybe 4 inches already forecast is for 5-8, maybe more if it stays all snow but 8 inches with rain is like plowing cement. When I went to bed last night one station called for 1 inch or less another 3-5 in any case not starting til mid morning imagine my shock when theres 2 on the ground by 8! Well still piling up bout time I made another pass.<p>BTW add a spare wiper blade to your spare parts kit, kinda sucks when a blade decides to head south, fortunately today all the parts stores are open it would suck if it happened at 1 am.<p>Bill

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

I hear your getting some flurries on the east coast!! :)<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

9. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

If what they're getting is called &quot;flurries&quot; then Ally McBeal is overweight and Dixie Chopper is the best mower.

10. ALS

ALS Junior Member

We have 7-8&quot; in the ground already in Southern Delaware and it is still falling. It's time to go back out for my second round. Ching ching $$$.<br>

11. Lou

Lou Member

Well boys, I can't tell you what a joy it was to see all that snow falling and all those plows working. I imagine you are all in 7th heaven right now. Why I even saw a rig like Dino's in D.C. on the news. Just remember, when the snow makes the Govt. shutdown, you know who got it running. Make that ching ching!

12. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

It's midnight and we have about 9-10 inches on the ground!Drifts are 1-2 ft.Gotta go plow-been going since 7 am and I think it will be at least 30 hours total.Later John D<p>----------<br>John D<br>

13. jeffclc

jeffclc Guest

Missed us (Pittsburgh) by 100 or so miles. NOt even enough to drop any salt. Bummer. Good luck guys. Stay Warm...

14. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

The BIG NOREASTER....We ended up with 1-2&quot; that changed to rain(South of Boston). Was a pain to push...left slush everywhere. Could of used a squeegee...maybe the urethane cutting edges would have helped...Hey DINO...<p>Dave <br>

15. GeoffD

Up here 9&quot; in maine. Start of storm 9 Am tuesday, finish i think mid night tonigh.<p>Geoff

16. sunrise

sunrise Junior Member

just got home 42 hours plowing with 28 <br>trucks 6 loaders in D.C and eastern shore Md.<br>best of luck to you<br>

17. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I am baaaaaaack<br>Well we got 6&quot; of snow an sleet, and aftera 4 hour lull, 3/4&quot; of ice. PLowed all day on the 25th, slept from from midnight to 3 and back after it till 5 pm, cleaning up and salting. One spreader went down and fixed that today also. Make sure those engine to clutch chains are in good shape they will grenade a gear in no time.<br>I guess NC is the jackpot, I bet they will pay 200 per hour for a truck and spreader. Road trip anyone??<br>The urethane edges are great, very good sqeegee action.<br>I would have made a profit on this storm but diesel ate all the profit. $2.00 per gallon, there goesa what ever money i saved over a gas engine the last 2 yrs. I guess Jonny Exxon needs a new Yacht.<br>PS Erics just Jealous.DOB whos laughing now<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

18. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Mentor, Angel
    from Chicago

Hey Dino, I wouldn't laugh at you!!!LOL :) I was out plowing this morning too. We had 1/2 inch dusting yesterday and the wind picked up and blew it off the edges of the mounds along the driveway edges and drifted 1/4 of them up pretty good. I'm glad that new scraper blade is working. I just might have to get one for next year. I hope you guys that want more snow, gets more. More coming here Sunday. Happy Plowing<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

19. GeoffD

Well we are done, about 36 hours later i think. The weather guys were wrong again, they said it would start snowing at 2 in the afternoon, it started at 9 am. When we were plowing it was snowing at the rate of 2&quot; an hour. Most business closed early so cars were out of the way. We got 9&quot; snow before we got 3&quot; of sleet and a little freezing rain. Anyways we plowed streight and scraped slush and sanded today. Snowpiles are getting high, so it is time to start moving the snow. Tonight the loaders are out moving snow around, should be done soon tommorrow more stacking and snow hauling. It time for everyone to get some sleep, i ordered everyone in at 11 pm. Last night of sleep for everyone was monday night.<p>No break downs to report, one truck did have a slight problem. The joystick plow controll was getting old, and wasn't lowering the blade evertime. It worked 99% of the time, and the 1% it didn't if you raised the blade and tryed it again it worked fine. Anyways we put a new stick in and the problem was solved.<p>Its 10:40 here now, and the yard hasn't been plowed yet. A few runs here and there, i see what i can get cleared before the guys get back. I think i am going to need 4 Low to plow 9&quot; of snow 3&quot; of sleet and freezing rain. <p><p>Geoff<br>

20. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

HaHa isnt that the way, I come home last night everybodys drives and walks are clean sun was out all day here I am with a two foot berm in front of the drive and a drift up to the front door. Neighbor makes a comment about shoemaker and his shoeless kids, I give him a smile and one-finger salute, maybe Ill get to it today, but I found my newspaper this morning so whats the rush? Let em look at the mess another day.<p>Bill