1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

noobie western owner looking for guideance

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by snag, Dec 12, 2010.

1. snag

snag Junior Member

Picked up a 88 wrangler with a westen hydraulic uni mount on it. Prevous owner was a hack and everything on the jeep is cobbled. Started to work on the plow. So far I have taken off the pump motor and drained the atf cleaned out the filter added new atf, Installed a new motor relay. I have sanded the electrical connections at the power and ground to the plow motor, battery, and fire wall ground
    So i plugged the harness and when I try to operate the plow with the controller the motor starts and will not stop unless i unplug the pin harness.
    Per the troubleshooting guide I unhooked the IIIa wire from the motor relay, when I try the controller with it unhooked I get a click from what I'm assuming is the solenoid activating as it should.
    I have run out of troubleshooting guide ideas, if anyone has any ideas for me to check I would appreciate it. Truthfully if I could just get it to raise I would be happy.
    Thanks Mike
  2. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

I believe that the solenoid that controls the motor pump is activated by grounding the small pin through the controller, opposite of a starter wiring.So the other small pin is joined to the hot stud on the solenoid,is that how yours is wired? if so the solenoid may be badly worn and when it is activated it is welding itself across the studs and not releasing right away (common problem). at this point a hammer is handy :gunsfiring: lightly that is.
    Otherwise the controller itself is to blame
    if their is no jumper wire on the solenoid then the cab control sends a hot to the solenoid to activate, either way the result is the same with a bad solenoid.
  3. bahaboy

bahaboy Junior Member

hi hitachiman ,iam also a newbie and you seem to know your stuff. i have a western (old) dont know anything about it, bought with a 96 ram diesel.works fine side to side ,but lifting dims everything in truck and moves super slow on the up and not much better on the drop.....any ideas?
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

ok,,lets start here...you stated you got a new solenoid correct???
    what kinda did you get a plow solenoid or auto???
    the solenoid is activated by a pos. signal off the controller not a gnd signal.
    the motor running is b/c of a couple of things.
    the wrong solenoid,,bad solenoid,,,improper wiring,,,bad controller.
    take the pos to the plow (big wire) off the solenoid. test light to both little pins, one should be gnd, one should be nothing or gnd. then raise or left right the controller and see what happens.
  5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Any chance that you can take pic of your setup and post it in YOUR thread for us. We can help you alot more with additional info.
  6. bahaboy

bahaboy Junior Member

western slow on the up

hi hitachiman,you seem to know your stuff!. iam a newbie with a western (old i asume) no info came with 96 dodge diesel.works fine side to side.lifting is super slow and put a serious strain on all electrics.the drop not much faster....any thoughts?
  7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

possibly you packing nut/packing itself. is it a cable controlled plow?
  8. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

your post said firewall ground. is the plow negative hooked to the battery or the firewall? it must be to the battery. dimming lights and slow plow reaction are usually from low voltage. a loose battery cable will cause this every time. i have seen this hundreds of times my 16 years as a plow tech.

make sure all of your connections are bullet proof. battery, solenoid, ground to the motor, and frame. any loose connection will fail. trust me.

if you have a new western brand solenoid you cant wire it wrong. look for the word trombetta on the solenoid.

good luck.:salute: