1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Noobie Question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Neil64, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Neil64

Neil64 Member

I bought a used UltraMount 7.5' plow that appears to have very little use. The guy I bought it from said it wasn't used at all, that the previous owner had it installed, removed it and the truck was totaled the next day. The cutting edge was in soft soil when I bought it but the plowed looked good anyway. Supposedly, the plow was stored under a deck for 2 years. Some of the fittings have rust but nothing major. The plow has a 2005 serial number. After closer inspection, the plow has been used. The left side on the cutting edge is worn some. Still, the plow seems to be in good shape.

I just had the plow professionally installed Friday. I want to take care of the PM soon before it gets cold. I have read the fluid change procedures in the Western Manual but thought I would ask you guys for some tips.

Do you guys change the fluid when the plow is attached to the truck? If so, do you drain the angle rams? Seems to me taking off the hoses off is a PITA. Where do you guys remove the hoses? Is anyone running quick connects on their hose connections? If so, what size and where did you get them? Are you able to pivot the blade left and right to get the fluid out of the rams? Since it appears the hydraulic circuit controls up, down, left and right, I assume you have to jack the plow up when draining the fluid so that it does not fall to the floor. When do you recommend cleaning or changing the filter? Is the reservoir can easy to remove and can the o ring be reused?

Do you guys use any rubber conditioner on the hoses?

Any other PM stuff - grease pivots, etc that you recommend?

I want to use a dolly on the Western that I have for my old Myer. Will I be able to drive the plow off and on if using a dolly?

Thanks...

Neil

2. Neil64

Neil64 Member

Dolly Question

I tried to use my dolly for my Myer but it is too wide and interferes with the feet of the plow. Does anyone have a dolly that works on the Ultra Mounts? I see that Western offers a wheel kit for the Unimounts but nothing for anything else. I'd love to see some pics of dollies that work on the Ultrarmount.

Also, is there a way to lower the speed when adjusting the plow left to right? It takes many attempts to center the plow. My old Meyer was a snap to center.

Thanks....

3. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

just have your cylinders in the collapsed position and drain the reservoir and then fill it. I do not have wheels for my plow just set it in the garage. I use fluid film on my plow to prevent rust. just spray the whole plow with it.

4. Neil64

Neil64 Member

Draining

How do you collapse both cylinders at the same time? Do you disconnect one from the A frame while it is collapsed and then collapse the other?

Thanks....

5. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

just collapse one of the cylinders. Does the fluid look bad?

6. Neil64

Neil64 Member

Fluid

I have not had a chance to inspect the fluid. I figured it was good PM to change it anyway so that is what I am going to. Hopefully before ti gets cold.

7. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Yeah you are right you will need to jack op the blade and disconnect the hoses (I take them off from the mainfold not the rams) and swing the blade from side to side to remove the fluid. To help bleed the air from the system take the end of the hose from the ram that is collapsed and put in in the new fluid and swing the blade. This will fill the ram with fluid. Make srue you have the lift ram compressed. I don't think it is neccassary to do it this way but it is how I do it. The can is easy to remove and youy can reuse the oring. Not sure on the filter replacement.

Best of luck!

8. Neil64

Neil64 Member

Easy

Why can't anyone put bleeders or drain plugs on their rams? It would make PM easier. Thanks guys. I now have more to do before it gets cold.