1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

noobie here.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by chigga, Jan 1, 2013.

1. chigga

chigga Junior Member
    from ontario

hey everyone, first off i want to say what a great website and very helpful from all the reading ive been doing the past couple days on plowing, and what i need and what to look out for.

i just want to tell you about myself, i have zero experience in this business as far as having a truck and plow goes, but i see the work thats done and have the utmost respect for what you guys go through on those long winter storms, as well dealing with equipment failure.

i am in trades and am a licensed machinist FT. i wanted to get into this business as parttime work, i kinda find it really cool to move snow around for some reason, and have always been intrigued for the last couple yrs, but after a few crappy snowfalls, my attitude changes about the work b/c of money to be invested. this past few days before new years, we had 2 huge snowfalls here in ontario, in one week...... im part of a condo board, and we had failed to get a contract ready for the residents that live here and kept people stranded, i ended up shovelling, so after making so many phone calls and realising that there is a HUGE need for this, i want to get into this business, also what turned me off is the professionalism of some people i called, i waited waited and waited after being told they would come to assess the property, finally one guy called, humbled to take on the work i gave it to him.
    im not saying all are like the ones i dealth with but a simple phone call would speak wonders to tell me if you are going to show up or not

i dont want to get into anything big, start small and maybe work my way up once i establish contacts.

i also dont want to step on the competitions toes, but i also know its the nature of the business.

ive been reading alot, but starting on small, should i buy a smaller truck or get a nice used 3/4 ton? i wanted to offer, snow removal, snow blower, shovel, salting, but i think having a plow would also speak wonders showing u mean business with all the equipment on hand, im not looking to going all out, but i know i can get started with somewhat decent equipment. also for starting small, would it be advisable to start a small business and get it going, therefore i can comply with government laws, ( im by the book ) id rather have something on paper for contracts etc....or just to show im legit so i can claim some things for tax

once again thanks again for all the informative information posted on your forums. by far one of the best reads ive done in a long time.

mark

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well the first thing people are going to hit you with is,are you keeping your job and if so what happens when it snows and your at work? Answer that and we'll go from there.

3. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

You should work for a snow removal company for a season. Not trying to discourage you. Combine what I am suggesting with what Grandview is asking you. Welcome to the forums.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013