1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Noob

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by biggen6776, Oct 22, 2005.

1. biggen6776

biggen6776 Junior Member

Ill be moving to Syracuse NY in the next few weeks, and i want to get a plow for my truck. If i can get one i want to start a small business to plow driveways. i would like info from people who know whats going on.

1 - can i get a good plow for my truck? 1995 dodge ram 1500 LWB 4x2 it does have a 4" lift with stiffer than stock springs.

2 - Do I need any special licenses or endorsements?

3 - What are the best tires for snow?

4 - Any other information would be great!

:help: :confused:

2. biggen6776

biggen6776 Junior Member

I have super swamper LTB mud tires. knobby type tires
    Would they do ok? Kind of slippery in rain and wet ground if I get on it.

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

You could get a light weight Sno-Way for it, but I would not recommend plowing with a 2 wheel drive unless it's like a 1ton dump atleast with A LOT of weight in it. Believe me, if you get stuck you will wish you had 4 wheel drive. I would swap those mud tires for all season snows with studs maybe, chains are good in an emergency, but not for regular driving. Also with 2 wheel drive you don't have the low gear available in a transfer case if you started pushing big piles of wet heavy snow. So in my opinion it is not worth it with that truck. To answer your other question, you do not need any endorsements to plow unless it's with a large truck requiring a CDL.

4. biggen6776

biggen6776 Junior Member

Thanks for the reply i have a class b CDL on my Florida licence. I dont know if iw transfer my license.

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

If you are going to live in NY from now on, you may have to change over to a NY license by law anyways. Go find a decent truck for 3 or 4 thousand that already has a plow and learn on that. You'll wreck your Dodge if you try to plow with it.

6. westwind

westwind Member

4x2? you may want to re-consider. 2 wheel drive is ok, if your only doing flat lots with light fluffy snow. You better put a lot of weight in the back.

7. Hiwire

Hiwire Member

I live in Syracuse and have done some commercial plowing over the years. You wont be able to do it. With the smaller 2wd truck, you may be able to clear small snows if you stay with flat drives, but customers wont be able to depend on you during the big lake snows. You really will need either 4wd or a big enough 2 wheel drive to really load down. Once you get here you wont have any trouble finding a decent 4X4, there are plenty around. Unfortunately its not the best time of year to be buying. I do know that if you plow within the city limits, the city requires a plow contractor permit. Its not a lot but they watch for them. Maybe once you are here in the area we can meet up at some point for lunch or a beer or 2.
    Ray