1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NOOB with question.....

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by locosol, Nov 17, 2009.

1. locosol

locosol Junior Member
    from 21601

Hello All:

New to the site (duh) and was hoping to have some more experienced folks help answer a question. First, some background info:

- I live in MD, where we're lucky if we get 1-2 storms a year. However, we do occasionally get dumped on. Having a blower and/or a light-duty plow can be helpful....
    - I own a house on several acres with a long driveway with a turnaround.
    - To make doing the drive easier, I got a SuperPlow 8' pull-plow. Mounted on a 2003 Ford Expedition 4x4 with the 5.4 engine and tow package. I use this to do my drive, my father-in-law down the street, and 4-5 elderly neighbors in the 'hood.
    - I have to admit, I do enjoy doing it.

Now- One of the newer neighbors who saw me doing the drive during our last storm in February has a friend who does plowing. Long story short- he said hew told the friend about seeing me plow, and now the friend wanted to talk to me about possibly doing residential sub jobs for him. About 50-60 driveways, all in developments within 10-15 miles from my house where he has agreements with community HOA's. We have not gotten to the point of talking $$$ yet.

Now, for the questions--

1) How much does subbing on a residential contract like this typically pay? I know it varies by region, but any helpful ideas?
    2) This doesn't seem like "heavy-duty" work (like having to do large lots). I would think the truck could handle it? It doesn't break a sweat doing all the long drives I do.

I figure I already have the plow, and have the time, what could it hurt to make some extra money?? Or should I just stick to my little goodwill jobs in the neighborhood and forget all about it? Any thoughts on this matter are welcome!

Please let me know if I posted in the wrong place, or if I left any important info out!

-Scott

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The minmute you accept money you become "commercial" as opposed to "not for hire" now you need to upgrade your insurance. For maybe one or two storms you could spend more then you make on insurance.

3. Ford06

Ford06 Junior Member

upgrading your insurance to commerical ahouldnt cost you that much more then what you are paying now. just sell them you need insurance to cover you when you plow and thats all you will be doing commercial wise. try to figure out what it is going to cost you to run your equipment including fuel and wear and tear vs what you are going to get paid and see if it is worth your time to you or not. if it was me i would take the job just dont let him low ball you.