1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

noob questian

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by nisntruckin1365, Nov 19, 2007.

1. nisntruckin1365

nisntruckin1365 Junior Member

Hey guys ive been lurking here for a while and finally saved up the money to get a real truck. I traded my 03 Nissan frontier in for a 2007 Chevy 2500 it just so happens that the truck has the plow prep package. heres my question is it worth hanging a blade on a daily driver i.e is there enough money out there to be made. I'm 21 and i have some other bills and such so i don't have the money to get a brand new plow right now. can i get a reliable used one for say $1000? what should i look for? please help

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

$1000? you would really have to peacemeal it together, no one is going to sell a nice, close to new setup for $1k with the wiring that would fit your truck. You can probably find just the plow side for a little over a grand, in decent condition, such as a fisher, western, boss, etc. However, then you have to find the wiring and mount for it. Then if you aren't going to install it yourself, you have to find/pay someone to do that for you as well, figure a couple hundred bucks for that as well.

My plow was $2300, not installed, not new, not the best looking thing and had some problems at the beginning, so, figure i paid about $2600 for my setup, still not looking very nice. Then $200 for my instal (i knew the guy doing it) and then the restore cost this year (that was optional). So, for something that worked, i was out $2800.

You could probably find some POS thing for $1k and make it work, but, it probably won't look good and will most likely give you problems at the worse time!

If you really want to do this, i would suggest investing some money and do it right, it will cost you more in the long run if you don't.

-mike-

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Check out the classified. There was or still is a listing for a nice plow, sander and a walk behind sander for $1000. The buys are out there. You just have to find them. I got a nice Boss V-Blade for $1700. Complete with everything.

4. mee315

mee315 Junior Member

I gotta agree with Mike. Got out of plowing several years ago. I have an 06 2500HD and decided to get a plow for my 400' driveway. Truck-side complete was 1004.00. It was a "special" from a truck supplier in NH. That included a fishstick. Another 200.00 to install the truck side (I throw business to the guy so I got a break normally 400.00 at least). I paid 1200.00 for a three year old fisher MMII. So a little over 2400. I did however, sell the complete wire harness and joystick controller that came with the plow side for 400 bucks on craigslist. (which btw is where I found my plow!!) Be carefull!!! Lots of garbage out there!