1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Noob Mistake :(

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Tundraplow07, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Tundraplow07

Tundraplow07 Member

First Year Plowing, and first actual big snow storm I plowed a friend of mines drive way and backed right into his work van :(. have any of you guys done this when you were a rookie ? My friend said he's not mad or upset he actually laughed about it, but I have to fix his van door one day *we are not going through insurance since I don't have snow plow insurance)
  2. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

it happens youll learn o well. this is why you see so many banged up plow trucks nobody got hurt it could have been worse. go slow watch your mirrors. if you dont start an insurance policy for plowing im going to go all hank hill on you and kick your azz. very important to have that, dont know if its same with all but with my auto insurance company the truck is insured as a vehicle when the plow is on it so im insured by them driving and transporting but once the plow drops and the truck starts working its not theyre problem anymore.
  3. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Even when you get good at it , accidents are always looking for a place to happen. get insurance or get out of the biz cuz ya cant run without it.
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Thats not a newbie mistake thats a bad driving mistake.

I have backed into trees, basked ball hoops, light pols, stone walls but never a car (knock on wood)
  5. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

It happens to the best of us! This should serve as a wake up call for you though. Time to get insured, next time it might not be this easy, and yes, for anyone who continues to plow there will be a next time. It's the nature of the beast. Get insured, you don't want to lose everything over a plowing mishap.
  6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I finally backed into a mini-van last week. First fender bender while plowing in 10 years worth.

Funny thing was is that I felt like my number was up just a month before that. It was a good run.

But, I have great insurance. No damage to my truck, gave him the info, and haven't heard a darn thing back, so it must be taken care of.

7. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I am knocking on wood! Follow the advise on insurance, you have learn a lesson cheaply. As a suggestion, I run as much light behind me as in front of me. When I did this years ago, all I got were funny looks, now you read threads about lighting all the time.
  8. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

It happens, I backed into a customers van with our loader when I was scraping ice off our parking lot and did a couple thousand dollars worth of damage.
  9. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Big mistake, if you couldn't see a van then how are you going to see that little kid chasing the ball?
  10. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

1. I agree I F'ed up and I took full responsibility for it then and I still do today.
    2. It was our private parking lot at work, everyone knows to have there eyes open and head on a swivel around heavy equipment because the operator can't always see you.
    3. The guy driving the van followed the machine so close it hadn't rolled back more than 12in before making contact and I had not even touched the go pedal yet so there was no speed just the weight of the machine. I couldn't even see the van in my mirror he was so close to the back of the machine.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

make sure your always aware of your surroundings especially when youve been out for a while and your exhausted...thats when a lot of mistakes happen
  12. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

If you're backing down the street that fast, you shouldnt be driving. Pretty sure if you're doing a driveway there isnt going to be some random kid chasing a ball right behind you......
  13. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

i backed into a tree yesterday and bent my salter up. "was able to take it off and bend it all back no big deal" My employee backed into a garage door 2nd week of the season. Insurance covered it no problem and no deductible. Plowing is not easy and everyone makes mistakes. they are lying if they say they dont or havent.

GET INSURANCE or dont tell people you dont have insurance. drives us guys that are paying big money to do it the right way NUTZ
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  14. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Backing up into something is not a noob mistake it will happen, your mistake is not having insurance.
  15. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

1st year plowing I backed into a white car next to a snow bank it was kinda camouflaged also backed into a garage door all in the same week.
  16. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

It doesn't only happen to noobies, trust me.
  17. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

when you should feel really bad is when you back into a telephone pole in the middle of a lot going 12mph. then you will have something to feel bad about.
  18. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I like to back over cars when I'm plowing:laughing: I've done it twice since I've been plowing (the last time, A minivan was trying to cut through the lot while I was talking to the owner of the restaurant, and stopped right behind me, instead of going around me. I was going to make one last pass and when I went to back, CRUNCH) and smacked into light poles and retaining walls and I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Every time, my insurance has taken care of the other vehicle. GET INSURANCE, even if its just commercial auto, ITS NOT THAT EXPENSIVE.
  19. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

It happens.Stationary objects are one thing,but what you really have to watch for are those idiots who have no idea that when they come up on you fast from your rear or side while plowing/salting that there is a brief lapse in time until they can be spotted,especially so with a hopper salter in the bed blocking some vision. I have a grease fitting in my neck for my bearings,every storm it gets greased.Thumbs Up
  20. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'll leave the insurance comment out since it really doesn't sound like you were doing it to make money - but if you are then get it.

I backed into a tree on Saturday. I have my cap on the truck and have to use my mirrors. Well the tree was in my blind spot on my passenger side and I looked to the driver side. Just as I looked back the tree hit my mirror then caught my passenger front tire - hit hard enough it jolted the truck over. I thought for sure my fender was crushed - ended up blowing my steering box apart but that was it.

$130 later and I'm back in business :)