1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Noob Here from Upstate NY

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by PlowWowD, Dec 6, 2015.

1. PlowWowD

PlowWowD Junior Member

Hello all, cool forum you got here, im from rochester ny,, we also get our share of snow, mild thus far.. (knock on wood) i am also a noob to plowing.. lol , me & the wife purchase a plaza to where her grooming shop we purchased is in one of the 3 units of our building.. there around 35 spots of plowing to do there.. i've hired 2 idiots since owning it... 2 yrs ago i had a guy who never showed up, :dizzy: then last year i had a hack, who btw only lived 1 street over did 1 better.. took out half our fence & an ac unit... so i figured it to be much cheaper to throw one on my truck.. it's actually still being done as we speak since thursday, picking it up on monday i'm assuming.. i have a 2012 1/2 ton silverado rocky ridge pick-up along with 37' tires and stock 6' suspension.. really thought long & hard not to use my baby but i just rolled with it... im worried though.. ive never plowed in my life.. i'll be doing allot of practice in my plaza during shut down days with tons of anxiety... i bought the MVP 3 V-Plow .. i already got people breaking my balls saying i should have purchased the straight.. uggh... im also hearing the rocky ridge aren't made at all to jell.. im hoping it works out... so i just bought that and a portable battery D Magnet flasher.. i'll definitely love to here your thoughts & tips thrown my way.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Truck "might" be a little tall for the plow to sit flat.

Welcome to PS, buckle up, sit down, hold on.

3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome! Nice truck, I would a got another truck for the plowing. And what ya gonna do bout salting?

4. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Lol I will agree with the idiots, The MPV 3 is really over kill especially for a beginner. They operate different than a conventional strait blade and you only have 35 car lot to plow. Learn where to put your snow. Meaning don't plow snow where there's a chance of moving it. Never plow with a straight blade make sure you are wind rowing or in the scoop position.

Don't leave big piles by roadway, You will be blocking the view of the business and obstruct visibility when pulling out. I push my entrances in to the lot to avoid this. Lots of people plow with 1/2 ton silverado but do agree with old dog. I'm not breaking your balls, Thats what you got you have to use it. LoL Take your time takes a little time to go 30mph in reverse. Good luck. Oh I forgot you will have to learn to stack. Watch some videos.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  5. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

The v plow is exactly what you want. Plowing a parking lot, you may even want to add wings at some point. You'll be fine - as with all things in life, you'll get the hang if it after a few times. It's kind of like mieing a lawn in that you'll figure out the best plowing pattern for the lot and stick with it. Just always think ahead where you pile the sniw so it doesn't build up too much in one spot that you hsve to clear out later on if you run out if room.

6. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Good ?, How about a small tailgate? I did not think of it. Most of the guys plowing them small lots don't even have slip & fall. The PO's don't care either. They rely on the traffic coming in. The roads are heavy with rock salt.

This is not right by no means that's just how it is around here. They throw a little around entrances that's it.:eek:

7. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

good advice here...

8. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Wings? really on 35 parking spots. Not to mention the expensive v blade. This equipment is meant for a sole small lot. OP maybe invest in a 244 with a 12' pusher. NOT, No offense I think he has enough invested for a sole purpose. Not to mention the high dollar truck not engineered nor intended for snow services.:salute:

9. Joneill

Joneill Member

Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll figure it all out and be fine.

10. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I'm a old man and retired from the operators union. I learned more on this site than I ever thought I would. Been Plowing snow since the mid 70's, After all I still learn a lot all the time on this site business and equipment end for sure.Thumbs Up:nod:

11. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

He's already spent the major money; wings are minor. Keep in mind that he's plowing his own lot, so he presumably wants to get it cleared quickly, especially if he has to do it multiple times during storms.

12. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

No comment:drinkup:

13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I said to myself.... Oh no, don't post here....well

1st a Vee isn't rated for a 1/2 ton, lets not mention 6in lift and 37's plus adding 700.00 (minor cost...lol.) worth of wings on a small lot.

I hope it's a 7-6 MVP3. I'm also wondering how the plow is going to be put on cause I highly doubt its a dealer, least a Western dealer.

Told ya to hang on and hold tight.

Careful backing up.

Where is Sno when you need him?

14. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

What he said. :cool:

15. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Can you post some pics of the plow and truck? One great pic would be putting the plow in scoop on the ground and taking a pic from the side of the a frame, down at the level of the cutting edge.

16. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

LoL why hold back? The OP is a beginner. Tell him like it is, He's got to be reasonable he's admitting to getting his balls broke. I don't think he's looking for nothing sugar coated.

:nod:

17. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Post up your mistakes...frustrations...broken stuff.. lessons etc and a picture of your truck and plow.

18. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I guess the op needs to learn how to hire a repeatable and removal service.

1olddogtwo
    it's just some f150 with a bunch of cosmetic up grades. let'em learn the hard way.

they all think its so easy to do.
    they all think that they are not taking on liability.
    they never think they will need to available all the time to service the lot.
    they never think about salt.
    they never think about the sidewalks.
    they never think about when their equipment breaks down,
    they never think they will need a back up plan for when it does break down.
    they all think a contractor is waiting in the wings to plow the lot when his equipment does break down.

they never think...

let'em fail, let'em destroy a plow. let'em get stuck in their own lot as people are trying to get to the business and ae getting stuck in the lot.

it's just snow removal what could happen?

op, good luck,& get a 10ft DXT and a 2yard salter.

19. PlowWowD

PlowWowD Junior Member

i actually got a buddy working on that for me (used one) not a fan of used but he said it's in mint condition.. i want to make 100% sure it will be necessary too being im only doing my plaza / home snow removal with it.

20. PlowWowD

PlowWowD Junior Member

Will get a pic for ya's once its done... guys im winging this thing and take pride in whatever i do.. i won't cut any corners, if something is a plus as i go along i'll purchase/do.. i bought and had it installed at a very respectable dealer.. --> http://www.thruwayspring.com/ thru-way spring.. the guy doing it said he could modify a pinto to do the job set-up..lol