1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Noob Checking In

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ZoomByU, Jan 25, 2008.

1. ZoomByU

ZoomByU Member

Just checkin in, new to the business. I've been a shovel guy for a couple years and this is my frist year in a truck workin for a friend. I love the work and can't wait to get more experience and knowledge. Currently don't have a blade on my Ranger but thinking about putting one on or waiting till I get a bigger truck. Just looking to gain as much knowledge I can from this site.

2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

if u dont have the 4.0 in ur ranger dont waste ur money and welcome to plowsite

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Welcome to the site and to the wonderful world of plowing snow. Save the money you make this year to get a bigger truck. The ranger will work if you only do small drives or lots. Good Luck and happy reading.

4. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Welcome to the site. I agree save and get a bigger truck - you won't be sorry.
    As far as Knowledge on this site?? :dizzy: Just kidding - good luck, and work hard.

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Before you buy a truck what kind of plowing are you going to do?

Lets do some math
    $30/ driveway
    X40 drives
    = $1,200 not bad

but if you use a smaller truck
    $30/ driveway
    X60 drives
    =$1,800 Better

thats $600 / storm more that will pay for a set of Ball joints.

If it is driveways then keep the ranger. it will need more maintenance than 3/4 ton truck, but it is smaller and easyer to plow driveways. So you can plow more of them and make more payup more than making up for the added repairs.
    the right tool for the job, just because most people use 3/4 trucks does NOT mean they need to.

Yes I used to plow with an F150

I got a Jeep I plowed once with the jeep and sold the truck I can plow 2X (that is twice) as many drives with the jeep as I did with the truck. I (just me) was plowing 76 drives. I now have 96 drives and a helper with an F250 I out plow him about 3 to 1.