1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Noob. A couple questions though.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by <Benchmark>, Jan 23, 2012.

1. <Benchmark>

<Benchmark> Member

Hi guys I am new to the plowing industry and I am looking to buy a truck and plow. I was gonna go with a chevy or ford. I dont know if i should get a 2500 or 3500. The 3500 seems like it would be to big and wide to get around especially if i did a few residential drives. But I wanna make sure the 2500 is gonna have the a$$ to push fine and have the suspension to hold up to the beating of a plow. My second question is going to get different answers but i really just want to know if there is a certain brand of plows i should stay away from. These are some links to the plows im looking at. Which one do you guys recommend. Is a 2500 good enough for these plows?

Blizzard Power Plow
    http://www.blizzardplows.com/bd/showroom/power-plow

Western Wide Out
    http://www.westernplows.com/wp/showroom/wideout

Fisher XLS
    http://www.fisherplows.com/fe/showroom/xls

2. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

What are you plowing?

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

What , you mean the proper tool depend on the job... who would have thought :)

4. 03sd

03sd Member

Are you plowing your own driveway or are you going commercial? Most guys seem to like the 3/4 tons it all depends on the application. If your doing residential drives a 1/2 ton would probably do just fine.

5. 03sd

03sd Member

IMHO these are all good plows I would talk to some guys in your area and find out who has the best customer service and also how far will you have to go to get parts if its snowing like a sob and you have a bunch of accounts that need to be plowed you dont want to drive 50 miles to get it fixed.

6. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

If you are going to sand too , then a 3500 will hold up longer , without any suspension mods. You can get 3500s with a single rear wheel , which alliviates the width issue . A standard cab works best for a plow rig IMO . As for plows , a 3500 will handle anything up to 9' , so application should be the determining factor . If you are plowing lots , wider is better , if you're plowing roads or driveways probably 8'-8.5' would serve you well . I'm a Boss guy myself , but they all plow snow , the Boss is just alot easier to hook up and unhook , with the SmartHitch III . Plus they are plenty rugged for commercial use ! ussmileyflag

7. <Benchmark>

<Benchmark> Member

Im plowing mostly commercial and a few residential some lots are long pushes

8. 03sd

03sd Member

If thats the case I wouldnt go anything under a 2500 like oneoldsap said if you plan sand/salt duty a 3500 would be best with a BIG plow couldnt help myself i like big stuff.

9. <Benchmark>

<Benchmark> Member

Well as far as customer service goes I know a guy that is a dealer for fisher and western and he is really helpful and always has the parts I need for the other stuff he distributes for our farm equipment. I think im going to go with. 355the reg cab 2500 or a reg cab single wheel 3500. Just depends on what I can find a deal on

10. coyote

coyote Member
    from montana

A 3/4 ton should do you fine...always remember no matter what size of pickup treat them with respect..sometimes slower is better..plows are all good..go with what you can get parts for..but i love a v plow for tough situations

11. <Benchmark>

<Benchmark> Member

Yea well I am huge on taking care of equipment i can't stand when I see people buy a truck or any piece of equipment and not do routine maintenance.