1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

None COMMERICAL Snow Removal?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Ole Tower, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

During Our Last Snow Storm I saw so many 4X4s w/ Plows running around I guess? there were more 4X4s than Cars? here any WAY! & all the Vehicle Sales Lots are Full of 4X4s w/ Plows & just the other DAY! I read a Post Here of a GUY that was Plowing a Dennys Resturant & to ME? that would make HIM? a COMMERICAL Plower! {wouldn*t IT?} I passed an all Night Coffee shop in my Travels & their Yard was FULL of 4X4s w/ 20? or More?? Plows & two Police Cars & a Tow Truck & Here on the Snow Site w/ New Bees intering the Plowing Business every DAY! & seeing Our Entire ECONEMY is getting Tighter & Expenses getiing Higher is there a FUTURE? in Plowing SNOW? as a MENEY Maker? What? Do You Guys THINK?? --Ole Tower--

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

About what?

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

The future of thermonuclear fusion.

Duh, what else?

4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

what i think he was saying was the coffee shop is is making all the money... maybe everyone should open one up... ohh wait i have a coffee shop and every othr day sumone is openin up something new... plowing is not the only saturated market around... by me anyway... if thats wat ole was talkin bout..

5. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

[​IMG]

Are we supposed to meet at Denny's or what. :confused: :D

IMO snow removal is here to stay. Pavement expansion takes place everyday. In areas that get snow and ice it has to be dealt with. Without it and operators such as yourselves there wouldn't be places to plow. Think about it.....How could a business owner keep the doors open when he is being sued by everyone out there for slip and falls.

Many more have certainly gotten into the business over the last few years. I believe that many feel they want to be in the snow removal business but only a percentage are commited to it for the long haul. I just read in another thread by iceyman where the streets are lined with plows for sale. Eventually his area will get good snow again and there will be more work for the ones that are commited and want to be in the business. Just my .02

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Ho I'm sorry was I suppose to answer every question?
    I'll do the best I can...

I donno???

7. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

I DONO? as I wrote the FACTS I observed during Our last Snow Storm I assume? my POST was taken by Most as a JOKE? I Don*t Post here all that Often DUE to the above Gentelmen most of local Plowers I Know! are very Conserned about Their Future? as the Plowing market is over Loaded! & Realestate is Going Down $$ wise every DAY Our ECONOMY is getting Harder & Harder & Prices are Rising as WE all Know My Post asked a Normal Question? & the Replies? well I assume? NO One Else?? sees any Problem? but My POST DID get a Site Sponcers REPLY!! as {toby4492} Tom O*Brien left His Business CARD! Western Sles Manager--New England Sales Manager-- Sno-Way International Inc--as He SELLING PLOWS! & Icey man--Mark Oomkes--Your RIGHT! as Here locally theres more Coffee Shops than People & Don*t WORRY? as here locally their Building Two More--TOM HORTONS & WE have so Many Fast Food out fits theres More Employees than Customers & YES! I*D Say! the Plowing Busines is in Trouble!! but I assume? most that Replied think? its a JOKE? well TIME will Tell? & Snow Farmer--I Don*t CARE! what You Think! Good LUCK to Every ONE!-OleTower--

8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

by your reply you care more than you will admit.
    this rambling should be in the off topic anyway.

did you even read there responses?

Mark Oomkes Quote:

"The future of thermonuclear fusion. "

Duh, what else?

Form a question then ask it..

A future i n plowing?

Why? is it going to stop! SnOwInG? I dunno.....

I took the time to answer all of your Q's and your still ungratefull?

9. Mark Oomkes

You're sort of grumpy today.:nod: Maybe you need one of these: :drinkup:

I take it my answer was wrong?

Ole Tower, you don't post much because of me?

So does thermonuclear fusion have a future in snow removal?

I was thinking of radioactive parking lots where the snow would just melt from the gamma radiation and heat created from the decaying particles of uranium and plutonium.

Must be I'm wrong. Oh well, next subject.

How about somebody selling me a plow on credit? How's that for the next topic? Cheap, too.

10. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

my $.02 FWIW,
    I see a lot of " commercial" plowing going on. I always just figured that's because the demand for them is so high. as long as the market needs the service, there will be a bunch of guys out there doing that job. There are some times I see entire fleets of trucks at a restaurant. we all need to take a break and eat, right?
    and then there are times I see used car lots and newspaper classifieds filled with plow trucks. sometimes the need for them just isn't there for whatever reason, so people opt to sell their whole outfit and move on to something else.
    it's just like any other free market. highs and lows, buying and selling.

myself, I use my truck to cover my own butt. if somebody needs help, I'll do it for free.
    but I'm not going to complicate my situation by being obligated to go do it.
    Have fun out there!

11. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Thats about the funniest reply I think ive seen on here.... Thanks for the chuckles.
    tymusic

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The future is thermonuclear.

What about cold fission?
    Do you think they will ever get it to work?

Ps they accidentally(yea right) used radioactive tailings in the asphalt mix in Gunneson Co. to pave the streets with..
    They did not see any results like better ice control that I know of. Maybe a little more uranium next time?

13. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

I really don't know why some guys here are so "hard" on Ole Tower...he attempts to make honest observations, and tells " the plowing industry" non-commercial and commercial, like he "SEES IT". I have no problem understanding what he is saying despite the "extra" punctuation, etc...

He is merely commenting about someone that does a Denny's posting on the non-commercial threads...(yes, that's commercial!) and he states that the status of the snow plowing industry, especially the little guys and smaller operations, are very numerous, making it difficult to know if your going to have a future in this business or not. Not too hard to comprehend in my book...

Be a little more tolerant of our brothers out there trying to survive and contribute...just my .04 cents... :drinkup:

14. Mark Oomkes

i DoNO, nOt THiS yEAr, ALl ThE sCiEnTiStS aRe aT thE DOnuT ShoPS.

oR ToM HorTOn!s

15. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Snofarmer, what did the guy do to you? Easy buddy.

Ole tower, I hear ya. Im way way new to this myself. I just bought a plow truck this season. I have many landscape customers that are interested in year round service. So I finally broke down and added my first plow truck to the fleet. What you were saying about the new trucks in the dealer lots with plows I understand. A friend of mine just bought a 2007 ford I think its a 250 could be a 350 I dunno. The price was right for him so he bought it. It has a plow. He has never plowed. So yes it seems like they are just giving them away. This year my friend has picked up a few residential customers. In my area we have many fishermen who are also seasonal. Most of them have the big trucks so they throw a plow on them for some extra cash in the winter. I dont see the 9-5er business man that wont mow his own lawn throwing an eight foot fisher on the new family four door chevy truck. This is where the customers are. The same people who would rather spend the snow day with their kids than be out shoveling. For every plow truck sold thier are thousands of people who opted for the BMW or Mercedes. The guys at the coffee shop must not have to much to do if they can hang out at the coffee shop during a snow storm. They just want to show off the new plow. Or guys like me who have time and are afraid to loose customers to a landscape company that plows in the winter. I will be happy with my ten plow customers this year because it keeps me in touch with them through the winter. If the other sixty customers call and tell me that they are finding another company OR ELSE then maybe I will add another truck. Right now I am okay with my little 2 hour route. You can have the rest of them!! xysport

16. Mark Oomkes

Peed in his cheerios. :cool:

17. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Here is come cold fission LOL:D:D Looks like it's working too :nod:

Bear_Lake_3-6-07_003.jpg

18. scitown

scitown Senior Member

MowBizz Can I borrow .02? I dont have any and you seem to have extra. I think I lost mine with my marbles while mowing this summer.

19. Mark Oomkes

LMAO, good one Tom.

20. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I was,
    I was treating him like a new born...
    With kid gloves.

I did not make fun of the way HE CHOSES to type.
    (it is an act)

I Took every Q in to consideration.
    I did not flame him or call him out.

ButT! hEy! ThAnks? For AskIng?:waving: