1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Non Tracking Ice Melt?????

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by vlasin, Jan 15, 2013.

1. vlasin

vlasin Junior Member

I'm looking for a good ice melt that does not track into the building. Right now I'm using a ice melt for a local hardware store on the sidewalks at a hospital. We have so much traffic in and out of the building it is being brought into the building and leaving the white film everywhere and we are having to mop 2 -3 times a day. I didn't know if there is a product out there that does not track in as bad and leaves that film all over. Any good products out there for sidewalks???
  2. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

Calcium chloride
  3. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

We use calcium chloride also but you will still get track-in, it just looks like the carpets are damp instead of leaving a white residue. I tell people it basically boils down to a choice: Do you want the liability of icy walks or do you want to shampoo your carpets once every spring?

We like the calcium chloride as you can use less product to get a melt, therefore minimizing but not eliminating track-in.
  4. TehTDK

TehTDK Junior Member
    from Denmark

Calcium Chloride?. It doesn't sound very healthy :p
  5. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Don't eat it. It's for the side walk!
  6. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

If you can get sunshine in bulk try that. Effective and no track-in. All others will track in to some degree.
  7. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Sounds like you need to be using liquid calcium chloride/ brine... Goes on clear and doesn't leave the white film all over the lot or in the building.

Truly improves the look of our facilities.
  8. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Ditto, liquid when made yourself will be way cheaper, cleaner, and easy to deal with.

If you only need to do areas close to buildings to minimize tracking, you'll be better off.

9. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

We use roadrunner at a building my family owns.