1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by darwin77, Jan 22, 2015.

1. darwin77

darwin77 Junior Member
    from NH

Last Thursday I was to receive the third of six installments. To date, I have not received a dollar, from this client, for services performed this season. We've done the work, we've kept the records, and we've submitted the invoices(all on time and as agreed to). At this point, it's become a rather large sum of money. My contract stipulates that I can stop performing services, at any time, for non-payment. However I don't want to pick a fight that costs us our hard earned money.

This is my first experience with this in 15 years in business. Any intelligent feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Have you spoken to AP? If so. What are telling you?
  3. darwin77

darwin77 Junior Member
    from NH

AP is the client? Yes

Last Thursday he said "give me a week to get you something. It won't be the full amount, but I'll be diligent in getting caught up"

Today, I called in the morning. I told him to "hold the check, I'd like to pick it up in person". I thought this would present an opportunity to get a sense, in person, of how things were going. He said "Sure, I'll call you when it's ready". No call.
  4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

AP= accounts payable. Sounded like a bigger company, my mistake.

Personal I wouldn't provide services til paid up.
  5. darwin77

darwin77 Junior Member
    from NH

No you were correct. It's a decent sized company. I just prefer to deal with the decision makers. My experience with AP has always been deflection.
  6. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have only had this once, I got every excuse including the dog ate it. So after it had been 2 months over due, and the next time it snowed I stopped and asked to get paid. I was ready to tell them to pay or I would drive away but it never got that far. They paid.
    I would go to the company and ask to get paid.
  7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You gotta go in there and talk to him, what are you waiting for? I hope you realize that you are not getting paid for a reason...they don't have the money. When he said "it won't be the full amount", that is a big red flag! I hope you get it all over time, I just don't know if you should plow anymore, I don't think I would.
  8. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

I would not continue service till paid.
  9. cbelawn

cbelawn Member

If you ask for the money and don't get paid - PUT THERE SNOW BACK
  10. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

There is a reson they put in the contract, that you cannot stop performing services, even if your not getting paid. And its not for your benefit.
  11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

^there is that.
    But isn't failure to pay breaking the contract?

And if there breaking the contract why plow it?
  12. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I agree SnoFarmer, but whats right doesn't enter into it with some of the NSP's. He can, and should stop providing service until he gets paid, but I think thats what they hope for. Then they will find someone else to scam. Its what they do best.
  13. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

It doesn't say he is in contract with a NSP
    It say he can stop work for non payment if I read correctly
    I would send them certified mail saying if payment in full is not made service will be stopped because of non payment also saying that you will not be held responsible for any thing till a new contract is agreed upon
    Is a crappy situation why should you be the bank for another company
    I do get paid by 2 of my places at end of season but I know this going in they pay ever yearly people who try to lie and hide it from you that I can't stand
    Please let's hear what you chose to do