1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Non-Freeze salt/plow combo??????

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ChicagoSnow, Aug 13, 2002.

1. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Just wondering if someone has a particular salter set up that can be mounted to a standard 8' pick up bed and will not require hand shovelling of bulk salt(even if wet) to load hopper if the same truck will be plowing for long periods of time. We have found bulk salt freezes rather quickly (especially if wet) in our "V" boxes if there is too much travel time or if by chance the same truck plows for an hour + then tries to salt..............only to find a hardened mass of bulk salt in the hopper that refuses to give!

We currently retain several snow projects that include 1/2 hour or more of travel time before plowing and salting - we are in search of salt application equipment combinations that can break up or shift "hardened" bulk salt in the bed prior to application, even after lengthy periods of plowing with same vehicle.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!

ChicagoSnow

2. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Try using treated salt and tarping your vee box when its loaded. You will also need to keep your treated salt dry since the liquid that it is treated with is water soluble and will wash off.

3. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

i made a plexiglass cover for my v-box to keep the moisture out when it's snowing heavy or freezing rain. ya i have to lift it off manually to load but at least the salt comes out when i need it to.
    dan

4. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Most bulk salt is treated with an anti-clumping agent from the distributor....

All you need to do is tarp it where you store it, and put tarps on your V-boxes for driving to sites.

Cheap remedy and a heckuvalot better than frozen salt.

5. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

I agree...Most salt is treated with an anti-caking agent (YPS). When I said "treated" salt, I meant treating the salt with Magic, Caliber or an equivalent.

6. ChicagoSnow

Please explain how to treat bulk piles of salt with Magic, etc. and costs involved?

Thanks,

ChicagoSnow

7. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

ChicagoSnow,
    Check out our website (www.turfplus.net) and it will explain everything you need to know. You can also do a seach on plowsite for more info. Magic is not the only liquid on the market that is used for treating stockpiles. You will need to check on availability. Contact me if you have any questions.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2002
  8. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

ChicagoSnow,

Treating piles of salt is a straightforward issue. You need a pump, sprayer and a loader to turn the salt as you spray. Most Magic dealers will come to your yard and treat the salt piles for you for a price.

all you need then is the loader to turn the piles.

You will still need to keep it tarped, in storage piles and in the Vbox.

If yopu load up the VBox and dont cover it the Magic will get washed away and you will definitely end up with a frozen solid V Box full of salt.

Go to walmart and buy a few cheap blue tarps. Its the best medicine against a frozen solid spreader

9. ChicagoSnow

Thanks guys!

I know the "tarp deal" would work, I was just hoping for a better, more neat looking alternative???

As far as the bulk pile treating goes(with Magic?), has anyone weighed the cost of product loss by the ever challenging wetting of salt, whether it be wet by exposure to the elements in a vehicle or un-used salt being dumped/pushed back into the bin? How cost effective will the bulk salt treating be?

Thanks,

ChicagoSnow

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I used the "tarp method" last year, but was thinking about using a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" plywood held down by straps this year. After Dyna Plow's post I'm wondering how this would work - Build a wood framework around the sides of the V-box. Cut a sheet of Plexiglass into 2 2x8 pieces. Hinge each piece to each long side of the wooden framework and secure them to each other in the middle with two eye-hooks. The top screen provides stability and you could have straps for extra security. The two halves wouldn't be so heavy to lift open for loading. You can monitor sand/salt level easily with the plexiglass in place.

I keep thinking that if I thought of it that easily, it must have been tried and there must be a flaw.:(

11. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I suppose it would work... but personally I think a tarp is easier to put on or take off when loading. and a loteasier to stor when not in use.

Besides, wood gets wet and warps if not pressure treated or waterproofed ( even marine plywood warps a bit after a while)

we all do what is right for us at the time.