1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Non-Chloride Liquid De-icers

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by forestfireguy, Nov 5, 2007.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone up on any new technolgy for chloride free liquids, we have alarge retail site that sits on an aquifer so we cannot use salt, or magic 0 or anything else that actually works. Any thoughts would be apprciated, we did it last season with Nc3000 but are looking for a better result......

2. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

Potassium acetate.......used as a runway deicer.

3. forestfireguy

NC3000 is potassium acetate, it just doesn't do a great job.

4. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

Glacial Technologies does not say it is KAC. Where did you get this information?

5. forestfireguy

I should not really say that, I asked SWP environmental for nc3000, they supplied me with potassium acetate 50% solution. I have the MSDS sheets, I also have them for NC3000 though not right in front of me,

6. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

I would check again. SWP usually supplies mag chloride solution and again, I have never heard of them suppling KAC.

Beleive it or not, there are not that many people that produce KAC (potassium acetate) and I know most of them.

7. forestfireguy

Confirmed, SWP sold us pot acetate last season ans so far has the best price for this year also.

8. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

What are they charging you by the gallon for 55 gallon drums? Perhaps you can do better?

9. forestfireguy

Having done a fair amount of research, I have found the SWP prices to be about a dollar a gallon less than anyone else I could find to supply the stuff. We buy bulk, either 2400 or 4000 gallons at a time. These are delivered prices so I guess with other being that much more money I should just be happy with what I got!!!!!

10. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

You still didn't mention what you are paying? Unless, you don't want people to know.

11. forestfireguy

Sorry I hadn't even realized, this years price to our on-site tank is $3.25 Per gallon for pot acetate. We went through approximately 3,500 gallons last season. The price for "their" mag Chloride is .929 cents per gallon. I am going to request an MSDS to see chemically how it compares to Magic-0, I am under the impression that there is some kind of difference, the sales guy was not in and I got the trucking mgr on the phone, we use magic to treat piles and my understanding is that the distillery by products(molasses) is what gives it the adhesion required to treat salt, I think he said something about a rust inhibitor additive in their mag chloride, I am not certain just my understanding at this point. Again these prices are from SWP environmental in NY state and I'm sure they'd sell to anyone all day long at these prices if you buy the volume we buy.