1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Non 4x4?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by KL&M Snow Div., Jan 22, 2009.

1. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Is it possible to plow with no 4x4? Been kicking the idea around but that always holds me up

2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

If you do a search you will find many many many many threads on this subject

3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

yeh you can but it'll SUCK! and if your plannin on doing drive ways it'll be worse. You can do it if its a heave truck, you get good tires or chains, have a ton of weight in the bed, and ure only plowing flat surfaces and you wont have to back over any unplowed snow

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Are you talk about F150?

NO WAY would get stuck easy.

5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

i agree with milwaukee on the F 150

6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Forgot try plow with 97 F250 HD 4wd but 4wd is broke.

Can't believe how hard to plow slush snow without spin and slide.

I suggested 4wd is better choose.

My friend who put snowbear plow on his 2003 Ranger 2wd. No problem but keep mind he tell me he don't wait for snow stop. He would plow 3 times so he won't break ranger try plow 1 foot.

7. KL&M Snow Div.

I would like to do it, but I don't think it would be a wise choice. I get along fine in the snow normally, but a plow takes alot of weight off the back.

8. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

you'd be better of buying an older 4x4 on craigslist and just use it for snow removal. you can get them for short money on craigslist

9. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Not with anything less then a F-550 (or comp), add a bunch of weight.

No way an F-150 would do it. Try putting a 4x4 in 2wd while plowing, it goes nowhere

10. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I don't even try to plow without my 4x4 engaged...and I run around 1000# in ballast weight behind the rear axle!

11. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

Not with an F150. I remember the F150 I had sucked in 2wd in the snow, without a plow.

I agree with a craigslist plow truck

12. Grateful

Grateful Junior Member

I plow 75% of my drives in 2wd, but I have a f350 dually diesel dump with about 1000 lbs of weight in the bed.

13. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicussmileyflag:gunsfiring:Depending where your plowing any vehicle loaded heavy enuf at the back will enable you to plow especially park lots. Done country lanes with a 1 ton dually sander a t athe back loaded. But yes you always gotta be thinkin about losing traction..............keeps awake on those long shifts

14. KL&M Snow Div.

I don't plan to buy a plow for this truck more than likely. I just want to know if it was plausible to do so if I needed to. I plan to get an F-350 and plow sometime, probably 3-4 years. Got a blower for now though.

15. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

that sounds like a good plan..

you will definetely outgrow that blower in that time.