1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Nokian vs. Hankook

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bluerider, Sep 2, 2007.

1. bluerider

bluerider Junior Member
    from vermont

I need to buy a new set of tires to plow with for this winter. The last couple sets I have bought I have gotten studded Nokian Hakkapelitas. The are by far the best tires I have ever plowed with. However they have gotten quite pricey. About 700 a set. Now I have been told that I can buy a set of Hankook's for about a 150 less. But I have never run them before and am a little nervous about going away from the tried and true Nokians. Has anybody out there ever had exprience running both of them. If so, how do you think they compare? And which ones do you think are better? Thanks for any input.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I run Nokians on my 1 ton Dodge and I don't think I'll ever switch to another brand again. The wear I've gotten has been tremendous and the traction you get on snow and ice is the best I've ever had.

I have a GMC 5500 with Hankooks and they've been okay. They don't wear very evenly but I guess it's hard to compare the two tires considering one is LT and the other is HD.

Why would you switch if you've had such good luck? $150 is nothing when you considering what's at stake. My $.02 anyway...

3. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

4. bluerider

bluerider Junior Member
    from vermont

I dont think that I should switch. In the five years that I have been running the nokians I have been stuck only once that I can remember. Thats a pretty good track record. But I had a guy tell me that the Hankook's are just as good. So wanted to know if anyone else agreed. Of course this was also coming from my mechanic that is also in the business of selling tires and doesnt sell any Nokian's.

5. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Here's a dumb question, what about just running BFG AT's? That is the only tire I will ever run after going thru 3 sets and getting almost 90,000 miles a set. They bite hard and ride super smooth and quiet. When I had my 2wd dodge I could not get it stuck! I could drive thru the back alley at my cousins (the city did not plow it), and it would just feel them dig down a little then thow you 20 feet or so, and then it would just start over again and that was in 15"-18" of snow. I have them now on my F-350 and love them they have 50,000 on them and arn't even half worn. They are a little pricey at about $800/ set for 285-75-16, but well worth it because of the performance. IMO, Dale

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I do not like running tires that are made in china.
    It does not matter if they have a dot stamp on them or not their quality control is nonexistent.

There have been problems lately with them failing.
    Hopefully no one gets hurt when your tires delaminate.

You will have no recourse as the Chinese do not have to recall anything or warranty them.

Good luck with Chinese tires.:dizzy:

7. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

What ever ya Dinosaur, BFG tires are not made in China!! http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2006/02/02/goodrich-060202.html , I tow 18,000 lbs trailers 2800 miles/week and have never had one problem with BFG tires. I have herd that lately they have had some quality issues with them not wanting to balance, but the dealers always take of it no problem.

8. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Coopers I've said it before and I will say it again.

A/Ts for summer and M+S for winter or plow trucks.

I will call you on 90,000 miles on a set of BFG A/Ts. I am right next to a tire shop and they swap them with 20,000-25,000 on them all the time because the guys are complaining they are sliding.

I am happy to get 3 seasons plowing out of a tire. I figure it has earned it money regardless of mileage. Every year one truck gets new tires, 3 trucks it works out pretty good.

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: :dizzy: Kids and reading comprehension;)

hankooks are Chinese and I believe the nokian's are foreign made also...

I never mentioned BFG'S.

10. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Oh, it was posted right after mine. Sorry

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I'll call you on getting 90K out of a set of bfg's also......
    I run bfg's.
    When there new to half life there a great tire.
    I get about 30k out of a set ,
    I too yamaguy, pull a trailer and plow and I have had a couple of sets of bfg's sense the dinosaurs disappeared, so what?

The next set will be a set of coopers I think as the bfg's are getting to $$ for how long they last.
    I agree with flipper on this one.

12. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Call me if you want, but I said almost 90k and that's what I get. The key to tire life is to rotate often and run at the recomended pressures. I hear alot of guys that run tires at lower pressures so that the ride is nice, they are the same guys that complain about there tire only lasting 25,000 miles. I'm not saying that my tires have great traction when I'm done with them, but they still hold air and roll.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Like you many of us ALSO work our trucks.
    Pulling trailers plowing, carrying more weight than than should etc etc.......
    I find that I'm running the bfg,s inflated to the MAX psi that is listed on the side of the tire.
    so they can handle the loads that there subjected to.

I think you may be holding some air:waving:

90k:dizzy:

14. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Whatever I'm not here to argue. Maybe I get good life out of my tires because I drive so many miles a week, and the tires don't go thru as many heatup / cool down cycles I don't know. Most of the other guys that run for my dad run highway tires of different brands and will get 150k or so on the rear dually tires. I don't like the way the prices are going either, but I have tried other AT tires and they just don't compare.

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Roflmao:jester:

I'm not here to argue but then you go on to defend your position.
    Remember it was you who jumped on this old dinosaur. lol
    Debate, can be fun but you can not have it both ways:nono:
    (notice I'm using Smilies as not to seem grumpy.;)

Just becuse someone posted after you does not mean they are talking to you.:waving:

Now back to the Nokian Hakkapelitas and Hankook's

16. bluerider

bluerider Junior Member
    from vermont

I have run the BFG AT's in the past on a F-150 that I had before I got into plowing. The are a good tire and got ok traction in the snow. But they dont begin to compare to the Hakkapelitias and I wouldnt even consider them for the kind of plowing that I do. I also found that the BFG wasnt as good when towing heavy loads. Thats cause they where either 6 or 8 ply tires. I cant remember which. But the Nokians are a 10 ply tire which makes them handle a load much better. I pretty much got my mind made that I wont get any but the Nokians or possibly the Hankooks. Just am looking for people thoughts on how they compare to each other.

17. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Love my HANKOOKS!!!

18. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i never thought i would see so many people fight about a brand of tires :gunsfiring:

19. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

20. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I ran BFG for years, yes they are good tire but if you never ran a true snow tire like a Nokian (what the topic is about on this post) you are showing your ignorance in actual experience with them. These will out preform them in ice and snow...period.

I'll bet money that there is not a person out there that would chose a Copper, BFG, or even Bizzack over a studded Nokian if they actually tried tried them as far as traction in the most severe conditions.