1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Noisy Throw out bearing

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dieselboy, Mar 12, 2007.

1. dieselboy

dieselboy Member

Hello all blue oval fans.
    I have a 2001 f-350 with the 7.3 and the 6 spd manual tranny. whenever the clutch is out the throw out bearing is making noise like its still spinning. When i go to shift and put the clutch in it goes away. Any thoughts on what this could be and is this a serious problem? the truck shifts fine and doesnt slip so i dont think clutch bad. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Thanks

2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

My bronco does the same thing ? Makes noise when the clutch is disengaged, and not in gear. And I dont know what it is either. Good question...

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Dieselboy, does the noise go away if you put the trans in gear,or does it do it anytime the clutch is released whether the trans is in gear or not?

4. dieselboy

dieselboy Member

Whenever clutch is out. neutral. or any gear im in

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

BNC, if it only makes the noise when the trans is in neutral then your noise is in the transmission. Could be either the front input roller bearing or the needle bearing in the back of the input shaft that the main shaft rides on. Of course either one would require transmission disassembly.

6. Midwest BuildIt Inc

I dont like your opinion, does any one else have one that doesn't require taking the trans apart.....LOL.....I figured it was internal. That sucks..:cry:

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I knew you wouldn't want to hear that:cry:, but you did ask after all! LOL! BTW, have you checked the fluid level in the tranny ? If it's low, the front bearing is the first thing that get starved for lube and can cause the noise your hearing.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It's either the pilot bearing or a trans shaft bearing. The only time the throw out bearing has motion is when it contacts the pressure plate fingers. You might try changing your trans oil and adding the slick 50 etc stuff to the new oil. You may luck out and it goes away.

9. MickiRig1

You can get the grinding noise from synchronizer rings too. Like if it's been in motion and the engine locked up or in the case of a diesel just cut out. It shears some of the brass teeth off the rings and makes noise. Is one of the gears a little tough to engage? The last one I ran into was a Saturn SR2 that the motor froze when it was in second gear. It made the gear grinding noise and 2nd was a hard shift, all the others were fine.

10. dieselboy

dieselboy Member

That makes sense. 1st is a little hard to shift into sometimes. doesnt grind but a little tough going in. is this serious? Or should i take it to a shop and have them check it out.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Being a little hard to shift into first is normal on the 5 speed's with some miles on them. Yes, I would recommend taking it to a shop and having it looked at as it's only gonna get worse. More than likely it's gonna need at least a throwout bearing replacement and if you don't know the history of the truck might be a good idea to go ahead and put a new clutch set and a slave cylinder in also, since the trans will be out any way.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  12. Midwest BuildIt Inc

This makes sense, it almost always grinds a little into third. Unless you really ease it in there slowly.

13. MickiRig1

First shift gear shifts for the most part on all transmissions are going to grind if the truck is in motion or the transmission speed and engine are not matched. Most transmissions have no synco rings with first gear. This keeps it from breaking stuff with abrupt engages.
    Noise can come from all shafts and bearings in motion. Keep in mind the throw out bearing only turns when it's engaged with the clutch pedal engaged. Some transmissions also make noise all the time when they have some wear on them. Till it stops going forward or you drop a gear it may not be worth worrying about. It's a huge job to make a noise go away, wait till it's a real problem to fix it.If it's an older truck junk yard have the parts much cheaper then rebuilds. You have to balance how long you keep it vers the cost of making it last for many years.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

dieselboy, if you want to do a little diagnosis on your own and rule out all the other possibilities to be sure that the noise is in fact coming from the throw out bearing here's an easy test.........with the truck running and the trans in neutral, LIGHTLY push the clutch pedal with your foot. Basically just use the weight of your foot to move the pedal down just a little, about 1" is enough. If the noise INSTANTLY changes or goes away completely then it's the throw out bearing that's causing the noise. By slightly pressing down on the pedal your putting pressure on the throw out bearing (thus the noise changes) but your not releasing the clutch so most of the components inside the tranny are still spinning since the engine is running, which would eliminate anything inside the tranny from causing the sound.

15. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Well my bronco has a new throw out bearing, I did it last year. We really took a lot off of the clutch during the month of feb( a lot of plowing) so i am doing the clutch in a couple of weeks, My thought was to have it rebuilt while it was out, if it was worth it. Remember its lifted and i do play hard with it every once and a while. Any thoughts on having it rebuilt? Or is it not really worth it..

16. dieselboy

dieselboy Member

Thanks B&B thats what it is. But it just got put on the back burner as i just ripped apart mny front end last night. I was tightening up my brake caliper and niticed a little play.....which after further inverstigation resulted into alot of play. So 4 ball joints, axle seals and a rotor i hope i will be back together. what a mess @ 2 am ugh

worst part it it isnt even my plow truck!

17. MickiRig1

BNC Services:
    If it does not have a huge amount of miles on the transmission you may just be wasting money having it rebuilt. When you do the clutch try to replace everything when you do it.
    If it's not just been done recently. The pressure plate, clutch disk, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, machine the fly wheel and consider replacing the rear main oil seal on the engine. If you do the rear main seal get the plastic driver tool to install it. This will save your sanity with that little install job. It gets the seal in straight and true and the right depth.
    When you push with a manual trans you have to dump the clutch when pushing. Don't slip the clutch when ever possible plowing. Backup with the blade raised a little and drop it right before you hit the load. I had an old timer give me these tips and it helped my clutch survive 2 seasons. There are many posts on plowing with a manual transmission too.

18. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Thanks for the onfo, The only problem with driving the truck is that i didnt drive it this year. A lot of people can drive stick, but its a lot different to plow with one..so you get some one that says no problem i can drive stick, and they burn it up. then tell you it was going anyways, but the truth is they cant plow with a stick.:mad:

19. MickiRig1

Like I said, there is a technique to plowing with a stick. I do not mean to be a deib about it. A lot of people were never told how to keep from frying the clutch. Some employees don't care either! I love driving a stick but hate plowing with one. Too many pedals,sticks and switch's to deal with for way too many hours at a time!
    I miss having a 5 spd in my stable of vehicles to just drive..

20. hde12112

hde12112 Junior Member

its a zf 6 tranny, they all growl. go test drive a new one it will too. first gear and low range low rpms rite?